Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from Zhongshan
Latest Blogs from Zhongshan
- March 22nd 2012 My Co-Workers
by Words: 37 Photos: 4
- March 21st 2012 Funny China Stories
by Words: 818 Photos: 0
- March 19th 2012 More Shanghai
by Words: 86 Photos: 15
- March 18th 2012 Real China
by Words: 41 Photos: 31
- January 2nd 2012 新年快乐 - Happy New Year!
by Words: 506 Photos: 8
- December 16th 2011 There Is Not Enough Time in a Day!
by Words: 1082 Photos: 15
- November 30th 2011 It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas... In Hong Kong?
by Words: 1066 Photos: 0
- November 23rd 2011 We Hit the One Month Mark!
by Words: 711 Photos: 0
- November 13th 2011 A Little Underground Market Shopping Therapy
by Words: 774 Photos: 39
- November 10th 2011 Rain Rain Go Away
by Words: 1107 Photos: 0
- November 5th 2011 Bok Choy, Dumplings and Chinese Beer
by Words: 747 Photos: 35
- November 2nd 2011 123...ABC!
by Words: 1244 Photos: 18
- October 30th 2011 It's A Small World After All
by Words: 875 Photos: 28
- October 29th 2011 Settling In
by Words: 560 Photos: 23
- October 28th 2011 Arrived Alive!
by Words: 825 Photos: 0
- May 4th 2010 I Lost My Passport
by Words: 794 Photos: 34
- December 16th 2009 A Chinese Christmas
by Words: 1030 Photos: 35
- December 4th 2009 Never Never Land
by Words: 1056 Photos: 11
- August 29th 2009 New blog, not censored....yet!
by Words: 615 Photos: 1
- August 11th 2009 I'm Alive!
by Words: 886 Photos: 21