新年快乐 - Happy New Year!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Zhongshan » Xiaolan
January 2nd 2012
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

HAPPY 2012 EVERYONE!

It's been quite an experience being in China for Christmas and New Years - I've learnt a lot and really enjoyed everything! It's been bitter sweet being away from home, but we've made the most of the holidays and really had a great time keeping busy and in the festive spirit!

We had a lot of great dinners out with our friends here for Christmas. My favourite being our Christmas Eve dinner. We went to a restaraunt here in Xiaolan called "Little Italy" which served us a feast (literally) for dinner. We got salad (which was the first one I had had since being here, and it was out of this world) - lasagna, pork, sausage, pizza, lamb kebabs, turkey, soup and a great Italian dessert. We were so stuffed walking out of that restaraunt, but a good time was had by all and even better company 😊

Christmas Day Courtney and I worked at Bond. It was really odd being at work for Christmas Day but we made the most of it, and were able to Skype our families when we got home. My family is in Northern Ireland now with the rest of the family celebrating Christmas, so it was really fantastic being able to Skype and watch everyone open presents and prepare dinner Christmas morning for them. I don't know how much I will want to be away from home for another Christmas, but being here was definitely a learning and growth for me.

At school I taught my kids all about Christmas and New Years - and they really enjoyed learning about the Western aspects of the holidays. And on the other hand, I got to learn a large amount about how they celebrated these days and the background and cultural aspects of their own Chinese New Year (which isn't until mid January). However, people are already preparing for it.... Storefronts are covered with red and gold banners, lanterns and Dragon images. (The new year will be the Dragon) - and everyone is preparing with big shopping sprees at the supermarket for food and clothing for the holiday. It is such a big event here its been so awesome to see the preparations for it all!

NYE in China was also an experience to remember. I taught on NYE but was able to get a nice massage after work to end off 2011 relaxed, haha. We ended up gathering ourselves and going to a club close by for the countdown to 2012, even though it was the most ridiculous countdown I have ever experienced! We got there with 15 minutes to spare, and the countdown started 10 minutes before midnight AND only at 5 seconds. So definitely an interesting way to start off the New Year, but it was a great time anyways dancing with all of our friends and making new Chinese ones.

I hope that everyone at home had a memorable New Years, and wish the best of luck, health and happiness for the coming year!!

Happy 2012 everyone 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb