Tsechus - Bless you!


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan
October 20th 2012
Published: October 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thimpu TsechuThimpu TsechuThimpu Tsechu

The spectactular Thimpu Tsechu at Trashichoe Dzong. The amazing building includes the King's throne room, as well as living accommodation for a large number of monks. Pop your nose right up against the computer screen and squint... you can see A and M's appartment up the hill on the right hand side of the Dzong.
We are not referring to sneezing (that would be ‘atischou’), nor the cloth for capturing sneezes, (that would be ‘a tissue’). This blog is about Tsechus – big religious festivals held in important monasteries.



What are they for? ... well, firstly (and most importantly), if you are Bhuddist (and even if you aren’t), it is good for you – spiritually you are better off for attending. Secondly, it is a chance to pull out your best clothes and dazzle the world! Thirdly, it is a mesmerising spectacle!



The HUGE Thimpu Tsechu sees 1000s of people pack into an enormous space that is somehow not quite large enough. Ahem ahem... "the photo?...The panoramic photo at the top of the page?...You like it?.... .... Oh thankyou! You are making me blush, but yes, I am very proud of it."



The Tangbi Tsechu is a little different. In addition to lots of dancing, dazzling clothes and Bhuddist ceremony etc... this one has two big bonfires. Between these there is a small gap, the width of which is just big enough for two people to walk side by side. As soon as these are lit, the
A and M in our Gho and KiraA and M in our Gho and KiraA and M in our Gho and Kira

The least colourfully dressed people by far, but feeling quite smart, nonetheless!
entire crowd surges through this narrow gap. A frantic panic engulfs everyone in the quest to avoid getting burnt. The excitement of getting trampled on is heightened by the prospect of falling into the hot coals too!

Mel’s jacket caught fire and this seemed to alarm her, somewhat. Having passed between the two bonfires you will have cleansed yourself of your sins (which is nice).


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Embarassment!Embarassment!
Embarassment!

These two chaps are Atsara - the very funny clowns. They came up to where we were sitting where our kind host told them that we were on our honeymoon. The translation of their jokes about us would make a Squaddie blush!
Fire!Fire!
Fire!

The Tangbi Tsechu - the crowd storm a narrow gap between the two bonfires... Imagine the scene... behind you you have 100 people pushing forward. In front there are 100 people bottlenecked between two bonfires. Eitherside you have red-hot coals....
Fire! (2)Fire! (2)
Fire! (2)

With a wall of flame in front of them, the temptation to run through was just too much for the entire crowd! Look carefully and you can see Mel in the middle of the ruck!
Mel survived the fire!Mel survived the fire!
Mel survived the fire!

Look carefully and you can see a flustered Mel coming through the fire. You may also see the scorch marks, where her jacket caught fire!
Cooling offCooling off
Cooling off

After the bonfire craziness, and the heat of the sun, a moment by the river was called for. The photo doesn't capture that Andy was in this meditative position for hours and hours. Cynics would assume that he held his balance for a couple of seconds, whilst posing. Cynics - Pah.


23rd October 2012

Wow - what excellent photos!
I love the one of you both in traditional costumes. I think you should have it framed next to your wedding photo. Have fun trekking. xxxx
10th November 2012

Bless you !
So delighted to share a little of your amazing opportunities, and sending you every happy wish and lots of love
19th November 2012

Panoramic photo? what panoramic pho... Oh that one!! Spectacular!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb