In 1865, Britain and Bhutan signed the Treaty of Sinchulu, under which Bhutan would receive an annual subsidy in exchange for ceding some border land. Under British influence, a monarchy was set up in 1907; three years later, a treaty was signed whereby the British agreed not to interfere in Bhutanese internal affairs and Bhutan allowed Britain to direct its foreign affairs. This role was assumed by independent India after 1947. Two years later, a formal Indo-Bhutanese accord returned the areas of Bhutan annexed by the British, formalized the annual subsidies the country received, and defined India's responsibilities in defense and foreign relations. A refugee issue of some 100,000 Bhutanese in Nepal remains unresolved; 90% of the refugees are housed in seven United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) camps. To be updated
• To be updated • • • • • • • • •
Tips and Hints
To be updated
Photos from Bhutan
Blogs from Bhutan
Latest Blogs from Bhutan
- February 6th 2014 Land of the Thunder Dragon here we come!
by Words: 16 Photos: 0
- February 3rd 2014 Bhutan....finally...
by Words: 1200 Photos: 107
- January 28th 2014 Visit beautiful monasteries and traditional temples in the Kingdom of Bhutan
by Words: 876 Photos: 4
- November 15th 2013 Bhutan - Land of the Thunder Dragon
by Words: 469 Photos: 7
- November 3rd 2013 Taktsang Palphug Monastery
by Words: 610 Photos: 0
- November 2nd 2013 Punakha Valley to Paro Valley
by Words: 403 Photos: 0
- October 30th 2013 Bhumtang
by Words: 592 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2013 Phuentsholing
by Words: 136 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2013 Choekhor Valley to Punakha Valley
by Words: 240 Photos: 0
- February 1st 2013 My Days in Bhutan: Hiking to the Magestic TIGER NEST
by Words: 781 Photos: 56
- December 18th 2012 Farewell Bhutan!
by Words: 129 Photos: 12
- December 15th 2012 Maths With Mel Video Link
by Words: 97 Photos: 0
- December 15th 2012 Adventures in Assam and Manas!
by Words: 626 Photos: 14
- December 10th 2012 Incredible coincidences
by Words: 54 Photos: 8
- December 8th 2012 Punishment
by Words: 235 Photos: 14
- November 30th 2012 Our favourite animal noses
by Words: 142 Photos: 7
- November 24th 2012 In search of the yeti
by Words: 744 Photos: 19
- November 14th 2012 Curiosities...
by Words: 165 Photos: 9
- November 13th 2012 The pursuit of gross national happiness.
by Words: 3430 Photos: 23
- November 1st 2012 Coronation Day!
by Words: 399 Photos: 0