Views of 7000m peaks!


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan » Punakha
September 28th 2012
Published: October 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

When someone suggests "should we get up at 4am tomorrow", clearly this is a challenge to how robust and adventurous you are. Even though you'd rather be cocooned inside a duvet, with at least a further 4hours of sleep to still enjoy, if anyone asks you this question, there is only one accepted answer - "4am, well yes! that sounds like a grand idea! Best part of the day!" Etc... etc...

Deep down you want anything to make it impossible to have to get up at such an hour. You look your guantlet layer in the eye and remark: "Really fantastic idea! Top thing to do! But.... Are you quite sure that we won't be breaking the curfew at that time tomorrow?". There is a slim chance that your slumber can be rescued. But no. The answer comes back "Curfew? No. Bhutan has never had a curfew, in its entire history." So, the gauntlet has been laid, a 4am start it is then.

The gauntlet on this morning was laid by our friend Kesang. He would be taking us on the first leg of our expedition to the East of the country. A massive drive where a car can rarely get above 25mph over the 12 hour journey. Anyway, 1 hour into the journey you arrive at the Dochu-La pass. 3000m high, and potentially excellent views of Bhutan's highest peaks in the North of the country.

On this particular morning, the 4am start was the best thing that could have ever been offered. We arrived at Dochu-La at dawn, and spent an hour making the kinds of noises that are normally only made for fireworks displays.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb