Blyde River Canyon


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Siyabuswa
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sorry the blog entries have been so brief since we came down to this end of the beautiful province of Mpumalanga, more of which we saw today. I hope that as we are spending a little more time here tomorrow (by popular request of the children, though Hudson Reeves safaris are also grateful for a more local day after three heavy driving ones), we shall get the opportunity to put more on here, but in the evenings I get only 15 minutes at best, and the youngsters cannot come on as (a) our host is reluctant to have school children on her only computer, and (b) in that time they wouldn't say much!

So, today we had a wonderful day admiring breath-taking scenery. Even the base camp we started from at Graskop is at a higher altitude than Ben Nevis, and we went much higher than that. Berkshire downs seem so flat in comparison! We drove up to the Three Rondavels, took a lot of pictures in two sites there, and enjoyed buying good-value souvenirs from the local traders selling handmade crafts. The children soon became skilled in negotiating, as they had a limited amount to spend, but they came away with some lovely items which you shall see either next week or at your next birthday/Christmas!

We then drove to Bourke's Luck Potholes, an amazing rock structure at the confluence of the Treur and Sabie rivers, where water action has eroded the stone into fantastic shapes. The children loved playing on the rocks above the waterfall. Nia (who has more energy in every sense than I had realised!) proved herself particularly adept at crssing the Treur via the various stepping stones (don't worry--it was shallow and she didn't even get her feet wet). Most of the others followed and they all had a very happy half hour there. After driving back to Graskop for lunch in a pancake place (Graskop is famous for them) we went up to God's Window for more fabulous views, and climbed on up through the Rain Forest to the top. On our descent we met more stall-holders so those who had kept back some cash could further practise their bargaining skills.

On our return to Ekukhanyeni, our lovely hosts were already preparing a braai for us, which was delicious. We ate outside by the fires and under a big, clear sky--Mr Miles pointed out some of the stars and planets to us. A perfect end to a brilliant, unforgettable day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



3rd August 2013

Wow!!
What an amazing picture, and your day just sounds perfect, Tilly I hope you drove some great "win-win" bargains. You are all so blessed.
3rd August 2013
P7270426

Canyon Shot
Wow! Just Wow! xxx
4th August 2013

Nia the Duracell Bunny!
Glad to see that Nia is living up to Dr. Livingstone's nickname of the "Duracell Bunny"! We should have told you that she never stops (unless asleep). The scenery looks amazing and probably lots of photos for Bethan, Will, Tilly and Archie to enter into Mr. Thompson's photographic competition. Enjoy the last few days. Sara/Mum xxxx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb