Background: In 788, about a century after the Arab conquest of North Africa, successive Moorish dynasties began to rule in Morocco. In the 16th century, the Sa'adi monarchy, particularly under Ahmad AL-MANSUR (1578-1603), repelled foreign invaders and inaugurated a golden age. In 1860, Spain occupied northern Morocco and ushered in a half century of trade rivalry among European powers that saw Morocco's sovereignty steadily eroded; in 1912, the French imposed a protectorate over the country. A protracted independence struggle with France ended successfully in 1956. The internationalized city of Tangier and most Spanish possessions were turned over to the new country that same year. Morocco virtually annexed Western Sahara during the late 1970s, but final resolution on the status of the territory remains unresolved. Gradual political reforms in the 1990s resulted in the establishment of a bicameral legislature in 1997. Parliamentary elections were held for the second time in September 2002 and municipal elections were held in September 2003.
Photos from Asilah
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Asilah
Latest Blogs from Asilah
- December 10th 2013 Halloween came to Ksar el Kebir, Morocco... and it was BOOtiful!!!!
by Words: 1541 Photos: 44
- October 27th 2013 EID Al Adha (Eid Kebir)… Sheep, mutton, lambs, rams or just plain eeeewe?!?!?! (Baaaaaaaa Hahahahaha).
by Words: 1235 Photos: 29
- October 18th 2013 Girl Power!
by Words: 1230 Photos: 55
- October 16th 2013 Moulay Boussleham – a long name, a beautiful beach (During Ramadan)
by Words: 2004 Photos: 92
- August 1st 2013 We FINALLY have our furniture!!!
by Words: 200 Photos: 27
- June 3rd 2013 Yes, you, MAY! (The month that was...)
by Words: 3153 Photos: 98
- April 30th 2013 April in a nutshell! or Are we nuts?!?!? Plus... a sideshow of "It sucks not to have internet!"
by Words: 1554 Photos: 215
- March 30th 2013 Ksar El Kebir... Ready or not... HERE WE ARE!!!
by Words: 1371 Photos: 0
- March 28th 2013 Onward to Ksar El Kebir!!!
by Words: 2235 Photos: 32
- March 26th 2013 Swearing in and hassle free travel... yea, like that happens!
by Words: 1215 Photos: 33
- October 4th 2012 Camels and feminism galore
by Words: 940 Photos: 0
- May 30th 2012 Meknes to Asilah
by Words: 1383 Photos: 6
- October 2nd 2011 Assidi in Asilah!
by Words: 498 Photos: 0
- July 5th 2009 Asilah
by Words: 169 Photos: 0
- August 21st 2008 Asilah
by Words: 80 Photos: 0
- July 1st 2008 Asilah
by Words: 123 Photos: 0
- May 17th 2008 Salaha Mutanoweeha
by Words: 143 Photos: 6
- May 16th 2008 Land of 1.000.000 satillite dishes
by Words: 207 Photos: 2
- September 23rd 2007 Morocco 2007
by Words: 45 Photos: 3
- March 27th 2006 Into Africa
by Words: 750 Photos: 4