Background: In 788, about a century after the Arab conquest of North Africa, successive Moorish dynasties began to rule in Morocco. In the 16th century, the Sa'adi monarchy, particularly under Ahmad AL-MANSUR (1578-1603), repelled foreign invaders and inaugurated a golden age. In 1860, Spain occupied northern Morocco and ushered in a half century of trade rivalry among European powers that saw Morocco's sovereignty steadily eroded; in 1912, the French imposed a protectorate over the country. A protracted independence struggle with France ended successfully in 1956. The internationalized city of Tangier and most Spanish possessions were turned over to the new country that same year. Morocco virtually annexed Western Sahara during the late 1970s, but final resolution on the status of the territory remains unresolved. Gradual political reforms in the 1990s resulted in the establishment of a bicameral legislature in 1997. Parliamentary elections were held for the second time in September 2002 and municipal elections were held in September 2003.
Photos from Tangier-Tétouan
Blogs from Tangier-Tétouan
Latest Blogs from Tangier-Tétouan
- May 11th 2013 Last night in Africa....
by Words: 225 Photos: 14
- May 10th 2013 Off the tourist trail for a night
by Words: 471 Photos: 22
- May 8th 2013 Wet shoes, God's Bridge, and ganga up close!
by Words: 382 Photos: 27
- May 7th 2013 Hiking and Hammam
by Words: 192 Photos: 12
- May 6th 2013 Hippie Trail: the Blue City of Chefchaouen
by Words: 183 Photos: 27
- April 30th 2013 April in a nutshell! or Are we nuts?!?!? Plus... a sideshow of "It sucks not to have internet!"
by Words: 1554 Photos: 215
- March 30th 2013 Ksar El Kebir... Ready or not... HERE WE ARE!!!
by Words: 1371 Photos: 0
- March 28th 2013 Onward to Ksar El Kebir!!!
by Words: 2235 Photos: 32
- March 26th 2013 Swearing in and hassle free travel... yea, like that happens!
by Words: 1215 Photos: 33
- March 14th 2013 Essouria, Fez, Chefchaouen - The Rest of Morocco
by Words: 840 Photos: 44
- February 15th 2013 The first entry.....
by Words: 155 Photos: 3
- October 8th 2012 Marrakech to Chefchaouen.
by Words: 817 Photos: 5
- October 4th 2012 Camels and feminism galore
by Words: 940 Photos: 0
- September 25th 2012 Up high next to Chefchaouen
by Words: 457 Photos: 13
- September 24th 2012 Morocco is for thrill seekers
by Words: 428 Photos: 0
- September 23rd 2012 Good Morning Morocco
by Words: 768 Photos: 3
- August 4th 2012 Chefchaouen
by Words: 384 Photos: 28
- August 1st 2012 day 30
by Words: 149 Photos: 7
- July 17th 2012 Tangier
by Words: 1177 Photos: 12
- June 12th 2012 3 cities, 3 countries, 2 continents!
by Words: 1696 Photos: 1