The donkey age


Advertisement
Published: April 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone!
We have spent the last week travelling around Morocco and Spain. We took an overnight ferry from Malaga to Melilla (a Spanish enclave in Morocco). After spending a night there we headed down south into Morocco.
The culture shock just walking through the border was amazing from the dirt roads to the traditional Muslim clothing. We took a train from a random deserted town to Casablanca, the train took 10hrs it was painfully slow. Luckily we arrived alte at night and could get a really cheap hotel. Casablanca certainly wasnt a city to rave about. It was big and dirty. Wlaking down the street we got stared at like some sort of zoo animals and felt pretty uncomfortable.
We got another train to Marrakesh which was alot nicer, we didnt get to see much of the city as the bus/train stations were situated outside of the city center. Kris didnt enjoy that he had to hunt for beer! We enjoyed a tasty chicken sandwich from the street vendor while playing with the street dogs.
The plan at this stage was to get down south to Agadir to ride out a few weeks before coming home, however upon arrival in agadir we werent so sure of this plan. It was very different to the rest of Morocco and had a nice beach, but there wasnt anything but the beach and the food etc was quite expensive. We spend 2 nights in Agadir before doing the reverse trip on an overnight train back to Spain.
Morocco as a country we didnt enjoy very much, however it was an interesting experience. Some parts felt like you had walked into the 18th century...they hadnt seemed to have discovered trailers and still used donkeys to cart peope and goods. Sheep were herded by people who stood in the field all day with a stick!
In the last few days we have managed to hitchike our way back to Alicante to fly to London tomorrow.
We met some great/crazy people including a hippee girl in a convey van with 3 cats and a dog...Kris wasnt so impressed when the litter box tipped over! We had definitly had enough of hitchiking yesterday when we luckily got picked up by an English speaking(yay!) guy and his 2 puppies! who took us the last 200kms to Alicante.
Hope everyone is well and look forward to seeing you soon!
love Kris and Jess


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

sandwich vendorsandwich vendor
sandwich vendor

Sandwiches seemed to be the moroccan cuisine as far as we could find!


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb