Background: In 788, about a century after the Arab conquest of North Africa, successive Moorish dynasties began to rule in Morocco. In the 16th century, the Sa'adi monarchy, particularly under Ahmad AL-MANSUR (1578-1603), repelled foreign invaders and inaugurated a golden age. In 1860, Spain occupied northern Morocco and ushered in a half century of trade rivalry among European powers that saw Morocco's sovereignty steadily eroded; in 1912, the French imposed a protectorate over the country. A protracted independence struggle with France ended successfully in 1956. The internationalized city of Tangier and most Spanish possessions were turned over to the new country that same year. Morocco virtually annexed Western Sahara during the late 1970s, but final resolution on the status of the territory remains unresolved. Gradual political reforms in the 1990s resulted in the establishment of a bicameral legislature in 1997. Parliamentary elections were held for the second time in September 2002 and municipal elections were held in September 2003.
Photos from Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz
Blogs from Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz
Latest Blogs from Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz
- May 23rd 2013 Marrakech, a Taste of the Old Arabic World
by Words: 1431 Photos: 8
- May 18th 2013 GOODBYE DRIVING , HELLO MARRAKESH!
by Words: 952 Photos: 4
- May 18th 2013 ONE HUMP OR TWO?
by Words: 666 Photos: 4
- May 7th 2013 Birthday Hammam experience , dinner with Mel and her folks in Marrakech, reuniting with Kate and Robbie, adventures through the Sahara desert.
by Words: 3110 Photos: 0
- May 2nd 2013 Worst Hike Ever!
by Words: 342 Photos: 23
- May 2nd 2013 Berber Hospitality: A Wonderful Day!
by Words: 491 Photos: 21
- April 30th 2013 Souk Time
by Words: 189 Photos: 22
- April 29th 2013 Marrakech....!
by Words: 208 Photos: 10
- April 17th 2013 Morocco
by Words: 7 Photos: 78
- April 5th 2013 The Only Sun Was After it Had Gone Dark
by Words: 406 Photos: 2
- April 5th 2013 Essaouira ( Tous les Chats sont Rois )
by Words: 873 Photos: 12
- April 4th 2013 You Have Just GOT to Visit the Tannery!!
by Words: 302 Photos: 2
- April 3rd 2013 A Day on The Buses
by Words: 735 Photos: 3
- April 2nd 2013 A Sophisticated Day Relaxing - French Style
by Words: 329 Photos: 3
- April 2nd 2013 Marrakech ( ou Le Grand Banquet )
by Words: 1419 Photos: 0
- April 1st 2013 Lost, Harassed, Shouted At, Threatened at Gunpoint and Hiding My Daughter's Bottom
by Words: 895 Photos: 4
- March 31st 2013 We Managed to Get There Without Any Extra Charges
by Words: 449 Photos: 0
- March 20th 2013 Malaysian 1st time in Marrakech
by Words: 1502 Photos: 15
- March 17th 2013 Morocco part II - the centre
by Words: 1065 Photos: 36
- March 4th 2013 A picture says a thousand words
by Words: 114 Photos: 45