It's free to look my friend, in Marrakech


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Marrakech
January 19th 2009
Published: January 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Greetings everyone, we know it’s been a while, that’s because we haven't been anywhere. But it is with pleasure that I tell you about our long weekend in Marrakech.

Our weekend was filled with sleep-ins, tagines and couscous, bartering and like all our travels loads of walking.

We flew out of Gatwick on an early flight and arrived about lunch time on Thursday. It was really easy to get into town from the airport; you can catch the bus for 60 Morocco Dirhams (DHS) which took us to the main square - Djemaa el Fna. From there we just had to find our hostel, easier said than done we thought, however it actually wasn't too bad. A gentleman tried to show us the way and he wanted money for his services, the only problem with that we knew where we were going. The hostel was a great location and right in the central of everything, our room was huge and so beautiful like the rest of hostel. One of the prettiest we have stayed in and that's saying something for us.

We spent the afternoon in the sun, now to you Australians at home at the moment that
In Madersa MosqueIn Madersa MosqueIn Madersa Mosque

Now thats a lamp.
might not sound so impressive but for those away in the European winter it was pure bliss. In typical English style we stripped down to t-shirts, jeans and no jumper. Lovely!! We strolled the streets of Marrakech, visiting the outside of the Koutoubia Mosque, which is the largest in Marrakech. We enjoyed taking it all in, seeing what there was to buy in the huge medina and different souks and saying especially no as they tried to sell everything to us from shoes to spices to knock off Burberry suitcases. It was great if you wanted almost anything it felt like you get could get it in one of the souks. They ranged from tanners and the most beautiful leather bags to metal workers and their lamps and everything in between. After such an early start Stephen and I were pretty bet, we had a lovely dinner with amazing starter of chicken and couscous in pastry which it was covered with cinnamon - yummy!! Stephen had his first tagine of many for the trip and I had skewers not very nice. But the tea made up for it. English tea, exactly what I needed after such a long day.
Jedi MasterJedi MasterJedi Master

Need we say more.

We started Friday with a sleep and a lazy breakfast; since it was raining today we weren't in a rush to do much. We walked to the Saadian Tombs - which date back from the time of the sultan Ahmad al-Mansur (1578-1603). The tombs were only recently discovered in 1917 and were restored by the Beaux-arts service. The tiling work was so beautiful. From there we quickly went back to hostel to get out of the rain, but unfortunately we were delayed one of the shop keepers recognising us from yesterday, saying we would visit again. Not ready to buy sovereigns he caught us not ready to haggle. We finally brought a backgammon set - we had seen them previously in Istanbul and Cairo, but their quality wasn't very good. Here in Marrakech it was lovely. Thanks to Stephen's great teaching ability I can now play confidently and I actually bet him without him taking it easy. He knows if he beats me too much, I won't play anymore. We headed straight back to the hostel - ready to play and try and dry off from the heavy rain. That night we headed out for dinner at Cafe Argana which
Food StallsFood StallsFood Stalls

All around Marrakech there are stalls of fruit, vegetables and meat just hanging around.
over looks the Djemaa el Fna. Unfortunately not much was happening because it was raining.

The Djemaa el Fna is predominantly occupied by orange juice stalls, youths with chained Barbary apes, water sellers in colourful costumes with traditional leather water-bags and brass cups, and snake charmers who will pose for photographs for tourists. At night it changes with Chleuh dancing-boys (it would be against custom for girls to provide such an entertainment), story-tellers (telling their tales in Berber or Arabic, to an audience of appreciative locals), magicians, and peddlers of traditional medicines. As dark descends, the square fills with dozens of food-stalls and the crowds are at their height especially in warmer weather.

Unfortunately for us Saturday was cold and raining as well, which meant another late start. We played backgammon until it stopped raining. And then we were off to see more sights of Marrakech, the previous day we had headed north of our hostel, now we headed south to the Musée de Marrakech or the Museum of Marrakech. It is a magnificently restored 19th-century mansion built by the Mnebhi family and now displays carpets, jewellery, furniture, ceramics, textiles and manuscripts. From there we headed to the
The Main SquareThe Main SquareThe Main Square

Each night the stalls are rolled out and everyone tries to get you to dine in their stall. We choose number 12.
Koubba el Badiyin, the sole surviving structure of the city's Almoravid founders other than the mud brick city walls and Ben Youssef Medersa which a former Koranic school where the main courtyard is a wonder of stucco, mosaics, and marble surrounded by balconies of exquisite carved cedar and relatively austere dorm rooms where students lived, memorised scriptures and crammed for tests in Islamic law. It was certainly a rabbit warren.

We headed back to the main square in search of just the right souk stall start spending our money. After feeling a little ripped off from Friday's shopping I drove a very hard bargain with everyone else and we purchased some lamps for our future bbq area in our future house and a few other presents for some of you. I was feeling very good about the prices we paid and Stephen was starting to stress about the room in our back packs to get them back to England. I can report to you they have returned safe home to London. Saturday night for dinner we decided to be brave and head to Djemaa el Fna for dinner, after hearing from fellow hostel guests that while to food is
Fishing of SoftdrinkFishing of SoftdrinkFishing of Softdrink

Saturday Night and Sunday Afternoon you can go fish for soft drink. Apprently it can be done.
cheap they charge you for everything we were on the ball! The first thing that happened in our experience was they placed down three bowls of dips - no thank you. Just two tagines and two fantas (real fanta too, which was very exciting). They weren't pleased but did as they were asked and in no time the food was out bubbling hot and just waiting for us to eat. It was good, but not as good as the previous nights Lamb and Prune Tagine. Back to the hostel to try and pack everything we'd brought into our bags.

Lucky or unlucky for us it was Sunday already, we had nothing planned except our flight home at 20:00 and the sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky! We decided to go find the Royal Palace. But first we had to get through the very crowded Djemaa el Fna the weather had brought everyone out in droves. Over the weekend we had seen the snake charming but the snakes wouldn't be part of it. Today was different, it was very cool!! We walked and we walked Stephen had seen a garden he had wanted to visit; unfortunately we couldn't find our way in. We ended up miles from the city square; the walk back was long and actually hot. We even got colour on our faces even though it didn't last long. The Djemaa el Fna now was more crowded than before and this time you could go fishing for soft drink!! We took a while and watch the people go by, we had a doner kebab for lunch and some yummy ice-cream, before we knew it was time to head back to the hostel to get our bags and head to the airport home.

We'd rather not talk about our departure experience at the airport, but let’s just say security felt the need to get very personal with everyone. Customs were almost as friendly as the Russian ones we’d experience before.

We arrived home in the cold of London and now it’s back to reality for two weeks.

Thinking of you all.

Love Michelle and Stephen.
xoxox


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Equity Point HostelEquity Point Hostel
Equity Point Hostel

Here are our beds in our 8 bed dorm. So nice.
Snake CharmingSnake Charming
Snake Charming

This was REALLY cool.
Busy TownBusy Town
Busy Town

Here you see the busy town and the quiteness of the snow-capped mountains.


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb