Egypt Continued


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai » Dahab
September 22nd 2009
Published: September 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday we arrived in Luxor and we are stayed at a great hotel - this really has the standard of a 5 star and a lovely pool and we were very happy. Luxor is a nice town with 2 big temples in the centre and a lot of tourists. It is amazing to see all these people visiting the sights and all of them including us hot and sweaty but it is worth it. The afternoon we spent in the swimming pool and in the evening we went into town and had a nice dinner. At night, the egyptians are actuallly nice and there are more women and children around and even the guys are not as annoying as usual. The hassle can be really annoying from time to time and the majority do not know when to stop. We sometimes have a joke when they try to sell us a bar of chocolate or water for 2 quid - considering that a builder here earns 5 quid a day.... anyway, we do enjoy the bargaining and the culture.

Today, we visited the Valley of the Kings and we visited 3 tombs - really good. We were not allowed to take pictures but this was one of the highlight of the sights for us. The painted walls are stunning. There is a strange smell in the tombs, which is hard to describe and again a lot of other peole visiting the sights. We also had a donkey ride, which was so much fun. Frankie has found his ideal riding animal and he looks like a king on his donkey.

Then another overnight train back to Cairo and we visited many things in Cairo (Egyptian Museum, the market, the Citadel, etc..). In the end we didn't see anything proper and did not enjoy this day at all. The evening was great though as we headed into town on our own again and enjoyed a glimpse of Egyptian life.

The rest of our trip we spent in Dahab at the red sea and Dahab is a great place to relax, snorkel and be active. We had free time in Dahab and 5 days was not enough. Snorkelling is easy and mostly off shore, which means that no boat is required.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Karnak Temple - Ramses IIKarnak Temple - Ramses II
Karnak Temple - Ramses II

This part was closed at the time but a little something made this picture possible


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb