No bag, no pics but memories...


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
September 8th 2009
Published: September 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We set out at 5 am to get to Heathrow for our flight to Cairo Egypt, so far so good. Em's bag did not arrive and she was unable to enjoy the swimming pool in the hotel as her bikini was in the bag with all other clothes and the camera. On the next day, Em kitted out in Frankie's clothes; we started with the famous Step pyramid and then proceeded to the pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. All really impressive and the pyramids are a lot higher than we thought. All sites are full of Egyptians, who hassle the tourists and this is tiring and nearly put us off the camel ride. However, our guide said that he can arrange a 'safe' camel ride and Em quickly mounted one whilst Frankie was rather reluctant. The little boy guiding us always wanted to make the camel run faster but terrified Frankie kept shouting 'no, slower'... I think we will put this down as an experience 😊. We took some pics on the mobile but no pic of Frankie on his camel.

In the evening we boarded the night train to Aswan. The seats were ok but not the most comfortable way to spend the night I have to say. However, Em's bag arrived and this was very good news as the camera was still in the bag with everything else and happy picture taking from now on.

In Aswan, we checked into the cruise ship, which was better than expected. The cabin is big, the bathroom ok and there is a sundeck with a tiny pool. The ship is called Miss Ruby Nile and all other people on the ship are Germans and everything is in German. In Aswan, we visited the High Dam (not so great but we took pictures anyway) and the Philae temple, beautiful and interesting history. The carvings were partly destroyed (some say by the Moslems, our guide blamed the Christians - need to read up on it). Then we had free time and we visited the market and later we started cruising down the Nile. Being in a group is ok as we have free time and the people are all nice and we get on well with our fellow 'cruisers'.

The cruise was great and cruising on the Nile was very enjoyable as the river bank is beautiful and calming and we daily watched the sunset from the deck or our cabin. On the way to Luxor, we stopped at 2 temples, one at night and Edfu early in the morning. Really good to see all the monuments!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Kom Ombo? Temple at nightKom Ombo? Temple at night
Kom Ombo? Temple at night

Em going local - maybe not flattering but comfortable
Meat MarketMeat Market
Meat Market

Wonder where all these upset tummies are coming from..
Inter UeberallesInter Ueberalles
Inter Ueberalles

Frankie had to pay a tip for this picture
Edfu Temple - carvingsEdfu Temple - carvings
Edfu Temple - carvings

really hard to take good pictures of the carvings..


23rd September 2009

Enjoy
Thanks for sharing your experiences in Egypt. Its always nice to read about your trips. Enjoy!!! Hope you will continue about your Egypt-adventure on this page.
5th February 2011
Cruising the Nile

© 2011 travelblog.org & Michaela and Francesco

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb