Being blonde in Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
April 24th 2011
Published: April 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cairo cityscapeCairo cityscapeCairo cityscape

A view of the giant pyramids over the top of the Cairo cityscape on a very clear Cairo day. Ancient history meets modern day chaos.
Cairo has just so much to offer. You would never be bored living here as there is always something to see and do. I can see how the constant bartering and terrible traffic would test your patience but overall, it's a pretty exciting and happening place.

I have also been lucky to have Stew's mansion of an appartment to crash in and local knowledge coming from him and his embassy mates. As an expat living here it would be challenging at times but very very interesting especially over the next few months with elections scheduled for September. There's no doubt that this city would always keep you on your toes. Not to mention the perks for the diplomats!!!!!

While in Cairo there's been a few funny and interesting experiences especially because of my blonde hair which seems to attract a fair bit of attention. In a taxi on the way back from the Citadel unbeknowns to me, I hailed a total hoon who wanted to take me out for tea. When I refused he stopped regardless and collected his cup of tea from a local street vendor. I then had to hold the hot cup and try not to burn myself as he drove around corners like a hooligan. Then, at one stage when we were stopped in the traffic he began to offer hashish to other taxi drivers pulled up beside us. So drug deals and money was exchanged right across from me (I was sitting in the front seat) everytime we stopped in the traffic. It was bizaar!!

Today was Anzac Day and so to commemorate this in Cairo the New Zealand Embassy organised a ceremony and breakfast. The ceremony was held at the Commonwealth War cemetary and due to the overnight curfew it began at 9am rather than at dawn. It was a lovely sunny morning which was attended by Ambassadors and reps from countries such as the UK, Singapore, Turkey, Pakistan and the USA. The cemetary was very well maintained with manicured grounds in amongst the dry desert and there were many graves since Cairo was a main gathering place for our soldiers to prepare for Galipolli.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Middle Eastern cuisineMiddle Eastern cuisine
Middle Eastern cuisine

Seqouia restaurant in Cairo with Stew and some of his mates about to endulge in some fine Middle Eastern cuisine
Anzac Day in EgyptAnzac Day in Egypt
Anzac Day in Egypt

The Commonwealth War Cemetary in Cairo
Anzac DayAnzac Day
Anzac Day

Stew and I at the Commonwealth War Cemetary


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb