Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
December 20th 2008
Published: December 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cairo


Tour Begins - Cairo

After two years of being off the road, I have backpack, camera and passport in hand, and have checked myself into an On The Go tour of the Egypt/Jordan and then I'll visit Israel.

For full details, check out http://www.onthegotours.com.au/Classic-Road-to-jordan The tour is a special edition with modification for both Xmas and New Years. Xmas will be cruising on the Nile, whilst the New Years Eve will be in the resort town of Dahab. This tour is very popular, with 169 people booked in, spread across 5 groups of roughly 30 people.

The tour begins in Cairo, with the fist activity of day one is a visit to the Great Pyramids of Giza. This is a short 5km bus ride, but due to Cairo's all day traffic jam, the journey stretches out to 30 minutes. The delay only helps to build the anticipation of visiting the last standing ancient wonder of the world.

Out guide navigates us through ticking and explains all the hawkers and scams that go on. We being with the Great Pyramids of Khufu (Cheops). I'm not going to go into details of the structure, but just to say that they are amazing and awe inspiring. Camera's were working overtime, trying to capture the gigantism of these structure.

The tour includes an entry to the Great Pyramid of Khafre (Chephren) (peaked with limestone). The entry descends through a very low passageway, a central chamber then ascends and equally low passageway to the burial chamber where sits Khafre's large granite sarcophagus. A moment must be taken whilst in this chamber, to understand what it took to build this room and the weight of granite rock above. The highlight of the day! Next was a short stop for some panoramic views and a 15 minute Camel ride and onto the Sphinx. The guide explained much more about the location, whilst camera's overheated taking in the classic views from the Sphinx.

Next stop, a papyrus emporium to understand the making of papyrus paper and a chance to purchase some of the artwork. Then to the necropolis of Saqqara, and the Zhoser step pyramid.

The evening, was a trip to downtown Cairo and a two hours river cruise, including buffet dinner, belly dancer, midget dancer and a spectacular twirling dancer.

The next day was a trip to the Egyptian Museum to view face to face the treasures found in Tutankhamun tomb, the mummy of Ramses II and 140,000 other exhibits. The afternoon was spent visiting a local Coptic Christian church and the Muslim Mosque of Mohammed Ali, then to the train station for an overnight trip to Aswan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



1st January 2009

Fabulous!
I'm in awe! Look forward to more.
4th January 2009

Have lots of fun
Remember - you can sleep when you get home!!!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb