Alexandria


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Alexandria
December 19th 2008
Published: January 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Alexandria, 'The Queen of the Mediterranean”, unfortunately has the accolade of being the greatest historic city with the least to show for it. It is rich in history, but with very few historically sights for camera happy tourists to snap up. The city, founded of course by Alexander the great has subsequently been conquered, by Romans, Muslim, briefly by the French and suffered through two world wars. Much of the ancient city requires a scuba dive to view and the Alexandria Lighthouse was destroyed long ago by earthquakes and is now the sight of a Muslim fortress.

The On The Go Tour included a 3 hour bus journey to/from Cairo, a visit to the Catacombs of
Kom ash-Shuqqfa, Pompey's Piller, seafood lunch on the Mediterranean esplanade, a tour of Alexandria's modern Library and a harbour side stroll out to Fort Qaitbey.

The beach side esplanade at Fort Qaitbey was explained as the lovers lane of Alexandria. Many young couples could be seen enjoying some private time together, taking beach side strolls, or seated closely, enjoying the view. The Muslim values ensure that private time consists of only holding hands, or arm around embracing, no kissing or other such affections are allowed. Moral police, dressed in plain clothes regularly patrol the area, and inflict hard punishment, even jail time for infringements.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

LibraryLibrary
Library

Books on demand


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb