Aswan and Abu Simbel


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
December 22nd 2008
Published: January 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arrival at Aswan following a restful night on the sleeper train took us straight to the hydro electric marvel that is Aswan High Damn. Built in the 1950s this hydro electric power station, and flood saviour of Egypt is an impressive sight, until recently it was the largest man made lake in the world, but has now slipped to 3rd.

Next stop was to Agilika Island to see the Philae Temple. After the great pyramids, this is the first of many ancient sites to be covered in Upper Egypt. This temple, was relocated as part of the Aswan High Damn project. Back to the hotel for some relaxation time and a buffet dinner.

The next day/morning was a visit to Abu Simbel, tho only a 30 minute plane flight away, the wake up call was a brutal 2:30 am, this got a very weary plane full of tourist first to the temple at 5:45am, included a spectacular sunrise and some great photo's before the crowds gathered. The pictures speak for themselves, an awe inspiring temple, both inside and out. Back to hotel for breakfast, checkout, transfer to the Nile Pioneer II, Cruise Ship for lunch, then a felucca ride to see the sunset, buffet dinner and show. Somewhere in this day I slept, not sure when, but when they say, On The Go, they mean it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



4th January 2009

Hi
Great photos Dean!!

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb