Last Days in Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
June 17th 2007
Published: September 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

As much as we were ready for another adventure, we were sad to leave Egypt. Egypt will always be a special place for us - our first 3 years of marriage, our first "real" overseas positions, our first taste of living in a completely unique environment. We wouldn't trade our time in Egypt for anything! We had one last hoorah in Cairo, where we spent our third (yes, third!) wedding anniversary, before before coming back to Maryland for the rest of the summer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Four Seasons viewFour Seasons view
Four Seasons view

Our view from our beautiful room at the Four Seasons hotel. I don't know if we'll be able to stay in a Four Seasons again any time soon!
Khan el KhaliliKhan el Khalili
Khan el Khalili

One last visit to the colorful and crazy bazaar!
The KhanThe Khan
The Khan

Tourists enjoy shopping and sheesha along the alleys that snake through the Khan.
Hanging with the homiesHanging with the homies
Hanging with the homies

The museum at Saqqara
Beautiful statuesBeautiful statues
Beautiful statues

At the museum at Saqqara
Djoser's Step Pyramid (2630BC)Djoser's Step Pyramid (2630BC)
Djoser's Step Pyramid (2630BC)

Can you find me? This, the first pyramid built in Egypt, was much bigger in person than it appears in photos.
DjoserDjoser
Djoser

The only remaining statue of Djoser at the Step Pyramid is enclosed in an ancient stone shelter. The "peep hole" allows for an interesting photo of this ancient Pharoah.
The Red Pyramid at DahshurThe Red Pyramid at Dahshur
The Red Pyramid at Dahshur

We're about to enter the first true pyramid remaining! Built after the Step and Bent pyramids, Snefru finally achieved success around 2550BC with this pyramid, named after the reddish limestone used in its casing stones (inside).
Inside the Red PyramidInside the Red Pyramid
Inside the Red Pyramid

You can see the reddish stones that give this pyramid its name. It was QUITE a difficult ordeal getting in and out of here!
Ramses II at MemphisRamses II at Memphis
Ramses II at Memphis

Carved from one 1000+ton piece of limestone!
Big handBig hand
Big hand

Ramses II
PharoahPharoah
Pharoah

Once the capital of Egypt, the Memphis of today is little more than a village with a small museum complex. Several statues remain, but little else is left of the once glorious city.
3rd Anniversary3rd Anniversary
3rd Anniversary

We treated ourselves to dinner on the Nile.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb