First day in Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo » Mohandessen
March 20th 2011
Published: March 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hey all!!

Slept fine last night despite calls from the nearest minaret at half four and half seven!! We all got up early to meet with our driver and guide for Cairo, Mina. He was out of Cairo on holiday in Singapore when the protests in Egypt broke out and couldn't get back for a month!! However he was able to tell us a great deal. We first went to Cairo tower for panoramic views across the city, it was a bit smoggy but the Nile looked nice and the old fashioned houseboats which were moored alongside.

We went to the zoo and ended up feeling up like the animals themselves as we attracted more attention from the locals- a big group of seven white people!! However everyone was very friendly and even in passing were saying "welcome to Egypt". Even when we were suspicious of peoples intentions (children posing for photos) it was innocent (they didn't ask for money!). The zoo was a bit decrepit but as we were told- the old regeime didn't care for the people of Egypt never mind the animals. However we got to feed a good few of them including a hippo!

We then went to Khan-en-Kalili market in the Islamic side of Cairo, passing mosques and the Citadel. We also passed the graveyards in which families actually live. guarding the tombs of the dead. We had lunch (falafal delicious) and went for a short walk in the maze of streets that make up the market area. There was about three groups of tourists there and of course could barely pass by a shop without someone trying to take you inside to make a sale. Again though the menfolk were very polite and friendly and good to banter with!

We then boarded the bus again to make a wee trip down to Tahrir square, stopping first at Tal'aat Harb street to eat some fantastic ice-cream. We walked down to Tahrir square which was very busy with people and traffic. Here was the only place Mina warned us not to talk to people and keep a hold of our bags. He says it used toi be safer but since the protests the police presence has waned. We saw the Egyptian Museum with army tanks outside, and a burnet out shell of a building beside it- again from the protests. Some street pavings had been completely dug up and used as missiles. We got the bus back to the hotel after that, in preparation to meet the rest of the tour group that will arrive tonight.

One very busy day already and the tour hasn't even officially started yet!!

Orla


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

corner of tahrir squarecorner of tahrir square
corner of tahrir square

the footpaths had been dug up to provide missiles


20th March 2011

Your first day
Hi Pet Glad to hear that your first day went well. How many are in your group? Lots of love
22nd March 2011

Good Luck
Good Luck, Orla and have a wonderful time! Will be following your blog with great interest. Stay Safe, Donal

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb