Corruption in Cameroon


Advertisement
Cameroon's flag
Africa » Cameroon » West » Douala
March 18th 2013
Published: March 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The corruption going on in Cameroon is one of the worst in the world, if not the worst altogether. Because its government is terribly corrupt, the nation hasn't progressed since the 1980s. Since then, there has been a lot of catching up to do.



President Biya hasn't given much thought to repairing the road system in Cameroon because he was too focused on keeping most of the money for himself. In fact, the only reason he remains in office today is because he spends the country's money to pay off vote counters and other influential people to vote for him during elections. Transportation is difficult to carry out, and many roadblocks of drunk soldiers and needy people who are willing to do anything for money only make it harder. When these travelers are faced with corrupt government soldiers, they can be easily harrassed and tormented, and even killed.



Most of the police force in Cameroon is so corrupt that they are "too busy extracting bribes to catch criminals", which leaves the country in pure chaos.



Since new businesses are faced with many "quick start fees" which are really just bribes, it is challenging for them to be successful in their country. Furthermore, they are not protected from thieves or or ther kind of theft, which makes them more vulnerable and more likely to become thieves themselves.



Furthermore, since the money in Cameroon goes into the government's pockets instead of education for its citizens, it is extremely difficult for people to get themselves out of poverty. Even the most prestigious private schools are maintained by corrupt people who only care about looking good instead of practicality or functionality or doing things because they can.



I would suggest to this country that they get a new president. No matter what it takes, Biya should be replaced with someone who has the country's best interest in mind as opposed to his own. If that happens, they will be more likely to stop the corruption and get a new set of officials who are more honest and believe in a better world and a better Cameroon.<br class="clear" /><br class="clear" />

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb