from BA to Colonia


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
October 7th 2008
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Didn’t manage to go rafting - SPEWING!! It turned cold, and the wind made it freezing. Just stayed at the hotel, in the pool. Cal doesn’t mind, he could stay in there all day. Sometimes I think we could stay at home and just go to the pool all day and he’d be happy.
On the last day we took a cable car up to Cerro Otto and had lunch in the revolving restaurant. Perfect unspoilt view of the Andes, as far as the eyes could see anyway. Absolutely fantastic. Shame about the food though. Maybe we expect too much, but the meals are pretty bland. Unless you’re don’t mind paying about the same as at home, the meals in traditional Argentine restaurants are tasteless. The Mexican and Chinese we went to were good, but the local stuff…
Bariloche is a beautiful place, and would love to come back. The main town is cute, some of it trying to look like a town in the Swiss Alps, but again, only the rubbish on the streets marred the scenery.
Back again in BA. After sleeping in and then booking our ferry trip to Uruguay, we went to La Boca for lunch. And
view from Cerro Ottoview from Cerro Ottoview from Cerro Otto

almost sorry to leave the constant magnificent views of the Andes. must move on tho...
we're glad we did. Fasinating place. Colourful old buildings and tango dancers everywhere. There was even a Maradona look-a-like posing for photos. Ok, I thought, but not when he asked for 10 pesos! Then the dancers would hassle to pose with you dancing with them for a photo...for a price. Bit of a shame, but they have to get paid somehow and at least they put on a good performance instead of begging. It's a must see if ever in BA! After lunch and a show - yes we did tip for the show. We're not absolute stooges. When we got back to the hotel, Gabriella (numero una chica) was waiting and took us to a large park where some in another congregation where playing football and volleyball. Everyone introduced themselves to us - with kisses. Callum just stuck his cheek out and went with it, girls and boys. He’s slowly getting used to things around here. He really enjoyed playing football though. So did Marianne and I, that’s why I don’t have any photos of it. Too busy havin’ fun. We only stayed for a bit over an hour, we had to get back for the meeting at 6:30. Callum loved being with the kids, saying that they were always touching his hair. He also gave them some gifts we brought with us from Oz, not enough though, there’s a lot of kids here. Afterwards, we went out for dinner with about 10 others. Another night of fun and to bed late.
Today we took the ferry to Colonia de Sacremento in Uruguay. We got off the ferry and no place booked. So we dragged our luggage and stopped at the first place we saw. VERY NICE. Posada de Angels. Simple little Inn, 6 rooms, small pool, quiet and clean. I think we walked down one street before we decided this is where we could end up. What a gorgeous little town. The popular historic part is protected by World Heritage and is exquisite. Cobble stone roads and beautiful old buildings. Clean streets and quiet. Maybe we’re too old, but the city just doesn’t do it for us anymore. And we’ve only and two meals here so far, and yes, they were both better than just about anything we had in Arg and cheaper! We’re here for three days and going to the meeting tomorrow, so I’ll have more
home of Maradonahome of Maradonahome of Maradona

easily takling the man. they worship him here. I've just got memories of "the hand of god"...does anyone else remember?
to write soon. See ya.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Cal's new bedCal's new bed
Cal's new bed

Ruins from house in Colonia from a long time ago...obviously.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb