Bariloche


Advertisement
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at Bariloche yesterday arvo, a bit cooler, but by no means cold. Apparently they had a 3mt base two weeks ago, but it’s down to 1.5mt now. So we’re going on Monday and Tuesday. I went to the meeting on Saturday night by myself because Callum was sick, had a high temperature. There was only a few sisters who spoke English, so it was hard to organise anything for Sunday, or the rest of the week, especially with Callum crook. Didn’t do much on Sunday, keeping it simple before hitting the slopes on Monday.
Marianne didn’t go skiing, but got a lift pass to go up and watch Callum at his first time at snowboarding. He refused to get lessons for some reason, so I had to teach him what I know…not much. He picked it up so quickly, even riding the T-bar. “Because I’m getting better,” he says, “can we go on the blue runs now?” Amazing. He hasn’t nailed the turns yet, but he loves it, going straight down, then flicking his back foot out to stop before he freaks himself out. We both had a couple of good stacks, but that’s only to expected from a couple of hack jobs like us. The weather was perfect the first day, but the snow was only ok. Unfortunately, we couldn’t book anything sooner, but it was fun nonetheless, especially for Callum. The backdrop was superb, and going up the chair lift gave us time to really soak in the surroundings. Magnificent. Tuesday was great again, with only a little cloud cover and windier, so I had to keep my beanie on. A good thing too, we both got burnt on the face (& head) on Monday. Marianne stayed home and looked at few other things to do for the rest of the week. At the end of the day, we rushed for the bus, understanding that they leave every hour, but when we got to the bus just in time, we saw that it was going the wrong way and we had to wait another hour! At least we could get a hot chocolate and look around. We both ordered a hot chocolate double and it near made Callum sick. Was almost too strong for me. Almost. We got home and Marianne had booked a flying-fox adventure for tomorrow, with brochures on horse riding, kayaking and white water rafting. But we could only really afford to do one more - rafting, if this fantastic weather holds up. I’d love to do the bus tour to San Martin de los Andes and to El Bolson, but don’t really have the time for such big tours. Snow or bus ride for 8 hours???? Hmm, no brainer!
Today we did the Canopy Flying, or flying foxes. 10 different ones that didn’t go for long enough. They were a lot of fun though, but expensive compared to most things here. Even the lift tickets were cheap. (AU$40 for me!) On the way up to the set-up, we went in a 4X4, and that was half the fun. The road up is deliberately shocking to add to the adventure. There were only the 3 of us in our group, but also doing it were a group of kids. They come to Bariloche from all over Argentina for their Schoolies week. Party town. Thankfully we’re about 5k’s out.
Tomorrow is rest day and organising ourselves for Friday and the weekend. 😉
At the moment watching Boca Jrs beating Liga in the Copa Cup, 1-0 with20 to go.
Grrrrr, Liga scored. Finished 1-1
ps
am making a short video of the highlights so far of Argentina, will post next week. c ya's




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb