Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Loreto
Blogs from Loreto
Latest Blogs from Loreto
- November 6th 2013 Iquitos: land of birth death decay cylce in action!
by Words: 420 Photos: 0
- October 13th 2013 My Strange Exotic Love Affair with Iquitos continues............
by Words: 722 Photos: 4
- October 9th 2013 On my way!
by Words: 115 Photos: 1
- August 14th 2013 The Greatest River In The World
by Words: 1194 Photos: 17
- August 13th 2013 Amazonie Part.2
by Words: 432 Photos: 58
- August 11th 2013 In the Apocalypse...
by Words: 527 Photos: 0
- August 5th 2013 Amazonie Part.1
by Words: 699 Photos: 101
- July 21st 2013 A change of tact
by Words: 1248 Photos: 20
- June 26th 2013 The Amazon Jungle- Part 2 of 2
by Words: 1285 Photos: 47
- June 23rd 2013 The Amazon Jungle- Part 1 of 2
by Words: 1375 Photos: 25
- November 20th 2012 The Jungle To The Coast
by Words: 1423 Photos: 9
- July 31st 2012 The Amazon - Part 1
by Words: 1544 Photos: 7
- July 7th 2012 Are We There Yet? A Journey To Iquitos
by Words: 5722 Photos: 26
- June 22nd 2012 My Amazon!
by Words: 2365 Photos: 14
- April 27th 2012 Beautiful people make a not so beautiful place rather lovely
by Words: 315 Photos: 2
- April 27th 2012 Time to listen to my gut
by Words: 536 Photos: 0
- April 26th 2012 No one said it would be easy....
by Words: 1279 Photos: 1
- March 6th 2012 La Selva Tropical/ IN THE AMAZON
by Words: 2399 Photos: 25
- February 10th 2012 Iquitos = Mosquitos
by Words: 981 Photos: 0
- February 5th 2012 Peru....
by Words: 355 Photos: 1