Getting To South America


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
November 23rd 2005
Published: December 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hola Amigos!

Getting to South America proved way more difficult than expected. My only real prep before leaving work was to get a travel book, which I hadn't read and buy an iPod (essential).

The first obstacle to overcome was quitting my job. Much harder than I thought, 6 years is a long time and the offers to stay where tempting.

The second obstacle was booking the Round The World Ticket, the plan was simple leave work then on Monday morning book the ticket. A week went by still no ticket, my time was mostly spent in bed or lounging around watching daytime TV, can´t beat a bit of mid morning Property Ladder. Many friends (and relatives) where questioning if I was actually intending on going?!? I didn't have a good answer. With new found enthusiasm I booked it on the Wednesday for the following Tuesday, spent the next two days in bed ill then a few frantic days buying and sorting everything. Special thanks to Mum, Holly and Vick for helping me pack until 11pm the night before! - note to self, check the bag you've bought is big enough sometime before 8pm the night before your leaving.

The third obstacle was getting to Heathrow airport. Flight 7:30am. Get the 4:30am Airport Express Luton to Heathrow, no problem. The fecking bus didn't turn up, Dad drove me to Heathrow in the end, much appreciated!

The fourth obstacle was the flight, Heathrow-Madrid-Lima. The flight to Madrid was delayed which resulted in getting to the connecting flight desk late and not being allowed onto the Lima flight. Later found out that Iberia overbook the flight and that was probably the actual reason we weren't allowed onto the flight.

Another couple of fellow travellers also weren't missed the flight, together we spent the next 36 hours queuing our way to Lima. After ping ponging between various desks we got put up in a hotel for the night and bumped onto an Air Europa (who?) flight to Lima via Caracas the next day. Day 1 of trip was spent queuing for tickets and luggage in Madrid airport, but it was much more fun than it may sound.

Air Europa got us to Caracas but not in any sort of style. The next flight Caracas to Lima was with Areopostal (again who?). Interesting airline they don´t feel its necessary to heat the cabin during the flight, it was freezing you could see your own breath.

But, But, But finally arrived in Lima and set foot in South America!!!!!!

PERU
*GMT -5
*1 Pound = 5 Soles

Stayed at The Point hostel in the Barracus area of the city. Top top place really nice people and a great garden to hangout in. Shame to be leaving.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 83; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb