Who stole the sun??


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
June 28th 2005
Published: June 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Pacific CoastThe Pacific CoastThe Pacific Coast

The cliffs of Miraflores just a block from our hostel
The biggest difference between Lima and the rest of the places we've visited is the lack of sunshine and clear blue sky! Located on the coast, Lima is shrouded by a melancholy coastal fog. But at least it doesn't rain, and it is fairly warm although the locals seem to think I look out of place in shorts and t-shirt.

Just one day here, so we headed into central Lima from our hostel in Miraflores, and wandered about the pedestrian st between plaza de Armas and Plaza San Martin. It's lined with shops, food places and old buildings. We also visited the Monasterio de San Franciso, famous for it's catacombs. Approximately 70,000 burials took place beneath the floor in special tombs up until 1808, but when discovered years later, bones were rearranged and just piled up according to bone type or made into patterns.

There are also many paintings on the walls in original condition, and the library contains thousands of antique texts, some dating back to the Spanish conquest.

Looking forward to leaving the city. If there is such a thing as a rule book for driving, then no one has read it! It's just chaotic on the roads and it's surprising there's not more accidents.

Well amigos, this will be my last report from this holiday. In a few hours we head to the airport, fly to Buenos Aires, and 16 hours later continue back to good ol' NZ. It has been a full on 25 days...we've seen heaps, met some great people, and will have many stories to tell that couldn't be told here.

Adios!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



3rd September 2005

I did. I stole the sun. It was fun -in a luminous way.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb