Spectacular Scenery!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Inca Trail
June 27th 2005
Published: June 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Machu PicchuMachu PicchuMachu Picchu

The tall peak behind is Waynapicchu (2634m)
Last Thursday we set off to walk the 33km Inca trail which was to lead us to Machu Picchu, the lost city of the Inca's. The 3 of us were the only one's to book with Inka Wasi for this time, so were fortunate to have "personal service" so to speak. We had a guide, a chef and 5 porter's to carry all the gear. We stopped at Ollantaytambo to get supplies, pick up the porters, and buy the last minute essentials for the trail... walking stick, drink bottle holder and coca leaves.

The Inca Trail is a branch off the main route which joined Cuzco to Machu Picchu. The whole way is paved with stone and took us across some breathtaking scenery over 4 days. The trail is still used today by local families who still farm the land in the mountain's. We met Llama's, horse's and even pig's on our journey. Local woman also have stall's set up along the trail selling food and drinks (gatorade, an energy drink was popular) at inflated prices. One dodgy looking stall even advertised "Mastercard and Visa accepted"...Yeah right!!!!!!

We explored several Inca ruins along the way. The Inca people were
OllantaytamboOllantaytamboOllantaytambo

Town on the way to the trail, featuring original Inca buildings, cobbled roads, and waterway's.
amazing builders! They chose strategic sites, usually nestled high on shear cliff's overlooking the valley's. The walls of buildings were inclined and the way they "interlocked" the stone gave incredible strength to withstand earthquakes, water was reticulated around sites using small channels, and agricultural areas were terraced.

The final day we were up at 4.00am for breakfast and then set off in the dark to reach the "Sun Gate", overlooking Machu Picchu at 1st light. It was a bit of a race against all the other tourists to reach the magical view first!

Machu Picchu is by far the most impressive of the Inca ruins. Ronnie, our guide, was very informative about the history of the city. The site contained agricultural terracing, offering alters, a compass which pointed due south (Glenn checked using his flash watch!), Guard towers, funerary buildings, sun dial, a sacred rock, an "olympic" stadium, and the list goes on....We spent several hours wandering around the maze of ruins.

We then decided to conquer Waynapicchu, a treacherous 50 minute climb! Why the Inca people wanted to build up there is beyond me, but they carried rock up anyway. I guess the 360 degree panaramic
Inca Trail.Inca Trail.Inca Trail.

Llama's carting supplies up to stalls along the trail
view was an incentive!

We finished the day with a couple hours in Aguas Calientes before taking the 4 hour train ride back to Cuzco.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

"Dead Woman's Pass""Dead Woman's Pass"
"Dead Woman's Pass"

Day 2 of the trail, and highest point @ 4215m.
Inca Trail.Inca Trail.
Inca Trail.

Day 3. Glenn standing on 2nd highest pass @ 3900m.
Inca trail - Day 3Inca trail - Day 3
Inca trail - Day 3

Dave standing at entrance to a tunnel along the way.
Machu PicchuMachu Picchu
Machu Picchu

Looking down from Waynapicchu...2634m. Yup, that's a shear drop at my feet!!!!


28th February 2007

Inca Trail
i read your comments about your trip to peru: very nice! we (my hubby and i) R hedding that way in the end of march '07 (!!!!) i got the same travel bug you did....where is your farm?

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb