Miraflores - Our Last Stop in South America


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
October 17th 2012
Published: July 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.0393, -77.0801

Twenty-four hours in Lima was not a lot of time to see this Peruvian capital city. Arriving late in the evening, we took a long taxi drive to the Miraflores area of the city. The expressway runs along the waterfront of the city with an ominous 200 foot cliff edge lining most of one side of the road and a beach on the Pacific ocean on other. Even in the dark the sights were quite captivating.

Miraflores is an upscale suburb in eastern Lima with a real multicultural feel. I was reminded of parts of Montreal here. We started our day by walking down to the water – at last…seaside! As we neared the waterfront, we passed a beautiful, erect glass building that turns out is the Mariott Hotel and is a signature modern building in Lima. I stood watching the streetscapes while Jim was immersed in taking pictures of this building.

We decided that the best way to scope out the city was to take a city bus tour so we hopped on a double-decker bus and spent 3 hours viewing the city and area. Although we were warned that during this time of year Lima was engulfed in fog, like every day except one during our 7 weeks in South America, we experienced a gorgeous day of sunshine. The bus stopped at the San Francisco convent where the highlight is its catacombs. I never knew what catacombs were until now and I am not sure I would have wanted to climb deep down into the recesses of a 16th century church to see open graves – which were more like big wells of bones of over 2000 dead people.

We wandered the streets, markets and parks of Miraflores and found a lovely place to eat a relaxing dinner (Las Tejas). Next we headed to our inn to pick up our bags and a taxi for the long haul home to Halifax for a quick check-in to see our son and prepare for the next leg of our journey. Ecuador and Peru have been fascinating; we enjoyed our time here and will be glad to travel in an English speaking area of the world for awhile. Note to self: learn to speak Spanish!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



31st October 2012

All I can say is 'WOW!!!'
31st October 2012

Hey - Let's take Spanish together next fall! Can you imagine the hilarity?HugsS
31st October 2012

This gives new meaning to the word 'grizzled'.
31st October 2012

Nice pic looking off the deck at Larcomar. I have that same pic looking off to the marinas south on Facebook. I live in Mira Flores till Dec. 19. How long will you be there??
31st October 2012

Was this person calling the cops to complain of the voyeur taking his picture?
31st October 2012

I have never been an architecture buff but I am hooked on this stuff. The beauty is stunning.
16th November 2012

Thinking of you and just wanted to say hello after receiving your last note. Photos and the narrative are both fantastic. Too bad Frank and I didn't know about your 2nd hotel in Ariekepa. I know we didn't stay at the same first hotel but ou
r was not a good move either. Happy trailsSusan

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb