Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Miraflores
Blogs from Miraflores
Latest Blogs from Miraflores
- May 14th 2013 Lima
by Words: 720 Photos: 6
- May 3rd 2013 152, 153 diena. Parasparniai.
by Words: 242 Photos: 6
- April 28th 2013 Hello from Peru!
by Words: 1295 Photos: 0
- March 27th 2013 Pottering in Peru
by Words: 236 Photos: 21
- February 22nd 2013 Peru 2013. Story So Far...
by Words: 550 Photos: 13
- February 17th 2013 Lima - Escuela Espanol
by Words: 391 Photos: 0
- January 13th 2013 Mixed Start
by Words: 504 Photos: 7
- January 11th 2013 And the adventure begins....
by Words: 303 Photos: 2
- December 16th 2012 Leaving Lima
by Words: 30 Photos: 1
- December 10th 2012 Christmas Time in Lima
by Words: 22 Photos: 1
- November 24th 2012 The Handicrafts Fair -- De Nuestas Manos -- in Miraflores
by Words: 53 Photos: 5
- November 9th 2012 Perou, continuation
by Words: 1494 Photos: 3
- November 5th 2012 Shopping at the Inca Market in Lima and a Visit to the Waterfront.
by Words: 46 Photos: 2
- November 4th 2012 Lima, The City Who Held Me!
by Words: 2128 Photos: 11
- September 2nd 2012 Last days in Lima
by Words: 292 Photos: 0
- August 14th 2012 Project Progress
by Words: 433 Photos: 0
- August 11th 2012 Peru Trip (August 11th- 27th, 2012)
by Words: 373 Photos: 0
- August 9th 2012 Dodging Bad Guys in Peru
by Words: 492 Photos: 3
- August 3rd 2012 Off to Huaraz Tonight
by Words: 106 Photos: 0
- August 2nd 2012 Hanging out in Lima
by Words: 236 Photos: 5