A week in - and having fun


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
March 11th 2012
Published: March 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello all!! Well it’s been a week now since we left home and so far so good.



Last Sunday we set off from home leaving Jenny and David in charge of the house and dogs – I do hope they are behaving for them (house and dogs for Jenny and David I mean). We arrived in Heathrow with loads of time to spare so we made our way into London and did an Entrecote with the boys and Kath which was a great way to start our holiday.



Once back at Heathrow everything went without a hitch getting onto the flight for Sao Paulo – we had a two seat row and I got the window seat. Having said that there was nothing to see as it was a night flight! Fortunately the flight was not as horrendous as I thought it might have been and 11 and a half hours and three films later we touched down. Some sleep had been taken and therefore we weren’t feeling too bad. There was then a 3 hour wait till the next flight to Santiago. Most of this time was needed as the signposts in the airport were very sparse but after a couple of laps we found where we were supposed to be. The next flight was easy in comparison – just 3 and a half hours.



Our arrival in Santiago went fine and a very nice girl was in the arrivals hall waiting to take us to our hotel. She gave us lots and lots of information on places to go and see in Santiago which we promptly forgot (jet lag – nothing to do with age)



Once checked in we made our way out to explore Santiago. It’s a vibrant modern city with lots of new building going on. Many sky scrapers have been built or are in the process of being built including the tallest building in South America – amazing really as we were told that there are earthquakes all the time. We had a stroll around the immediate vicinity which wasn’t too interesting and then took the underground to Los Domingues where there was a craft market, a beautiful old church and really interesting gardens. After spending a pleasant couple of hours wandering we made our way back on the underground and then Scott, who had already moaned a bucketful at the useless map we had been given, decided to get off at a stop which he informed me was much closer to our hotel than where we had got on. WRONG!!!!! A couple of hours later, hot, knackered and with blistered feet we were still wandering around. Couldn’t even find the tallest building in South America on the skyline (which our hotel was close to). I looked at the map and realized that not only couldn’t he find the hotel he was actually looking for the wrong hotel!! We got back on the underground and off at the stop which I recognized and albeit the long way round got us back to whence we started. We then went to a wonderful restaurant (as we were speaking again by then) called the Coco-Loco where we had spider crab along with other delicious seafood and of course the obligatory Chilean wine. Also there is a little aperitif called Pisco Sour which is very yummy. Helped me forget about the blisters anyway!!!



Back to the hotel for a much needed sleep.



In the morning we did a bit more exploring before being picked up and driven to Valparaiso (via a vineyard and 4 bottles of wine, bought not drunk) where we boarded the ship.



This was all a little bit strange as were told to leave our luggage at a temporary small table manned by two young guys who looked like they were just there to chat and then taken through a large port building which was devoid of anything or anyone apart from a couple of security people who told us to get on a coach an go down to the ship. Once we arrived here we were looked at in a quizzical fashion and asked for passports and then allowed to get on the ship. Then we were halted again and told to go to reception where we handed in said passports and were given keys. There was no welcome whatsoever and not very much security at all – no credit cards were asked for and no photos taken. We pointed out that the luggage was outside the main port building somewhere. All a bit amateurish and odd. Anyway we then found our cabin – took a quick look – it is very nice – not as big as the Queen Mary cabin but there again the ship is a fraction of the size. However the balcony is much pleasanter and the storage area the same size – so loads of room considering how much less luggage we have!



Explored the ship which was very easy to do and it is very nice indeed with some nice touches to the public areas. We then met up with Elly and Chris and later with Joaquim and Toni. They introduced us to other very nice people but think by this time tiredness had taken over and couldn’t really remember any ones name.



After dinner (which was lovely) we had a drink and then bed as we were fairly exhausted.



The next day we arrived in Coquimbo (Chile) where we took a coach tour to see Petroglyphs (stone etchings in the Enchanted Valley and then the Tabali vineyard returning via a rural restaurant where we had a very nice lunch including Empanada (not sure if that’s how you spell it) which was all very nice.



Once back at the ship Scott and Chris went off in seach of bottles of Pisco Sour and Elly and I came back on board – Elly had gone on ahead. Then the problems of the inefficient boarding became all too clear as the officials decided not to let me back on the ship as apparently Scott’s photo showed up against my boarding card and apparently it’s very odd for a man to go to the shops whilst his wife gets back on board. Firstly, I was told I would have to wait for him before I was allowed back on – I thought differently. Some officer in a white suit then informed me that this was because we had boarded the ship late in Valparaiso – I informed them this was not correct and that they had provided a rather shoddy service (or words to that effect). My photograph was taken (again) and eventually I was allowed back on. I can’t tell you how many gins it took before my nerves steadied!



The next day was a sea day so took advantage of the downtime to relax completely – great. The food is excellent on board. There has been a Captain’s cocktail party which really wasn’t much of an affair in comparison to the ones on the Queen Mary but nevertheless offered drinks, but for a very short period of time.



Friday we were docked in Arica (still in Chile) where we decided to do our own thing. We spent a very pleasant morning strolling the streets and then stopped and watched the world go by outside a café sipping yet more Pisco Sours. We then wandered off to find the market place. Scott got warned by the police to keep his camera out of sight and I was told to carry my bag in front of me and not over one shoulder. It did seem a little strange as the people we met along the way seemed very friendly and without exception all were smiley and welcoming – that is apart from the ladies behind us in the queue in the supermarket. But I would have been pretty cheesed off if I’d been them. Elly and I had found a bargain of 3 for 2 bottles of the Pisco Sour and once at the checkout the lady tried to tell us the offer was finished but we insisted that the sign was misleading – in the end we won – but to be honest I think they just wanted us gone!!



After the shopping experience there was a little mix up – we received a message from Chris to meet him at the other end of town so off we trooped on quite a mission – now carrying 6 bottles of Pisco Sour and the obligatory purchase of Chilean wine – Scott was carrying the majority although Elly and I did our bit. The heat was incredible and we had already walked a fair bit – we got to said restaurant rendezvous to be told that the Ingleses had left as it was too expensive. 3 hot people not best pleased. After a long walk back down the road it was decided that a return to ship was the best plan.



Chris eventually turned up but wasn’t the most popular person in the world but was forgiven eventually although he wont be allowed to forget it. After another very nice dinner an early night was had by all. It was also great news to hear that the clocks were to go back an hour.



Saturday – after 11 hours of sleep awoke feeling refreshed. Spent time in the gym and then the rest of the day poolside. The weather is sublime. Scott and Chris watched the rugby whilst Elly and I went for girlie lunch of healthy salad. We were joined by this terribly talkative lady who regaled us with stories of how many different expensive gems her husband had bought her along the way and how she was going to get them set into rings once back in Blighty – she also gave us a potted history of her life, all the places she had ever lived and/or been to – she hardly stopped for breath and only paused to ask us if she was boring us – the pause was not long enough for a reply. After a while (seemed like forever) we escaped and Elly asked if I had noticed that the lady had only three fingers on one hand – I hadn’t but then did wonder where all the rings were going to go. Oh well – it takes all sorts.



Tomorrow we arrive in Lima in Peru and I hope to get this posted if we find an internet café. Scott is now snoring gently and I have still to download photos. So, for now, goodnight and hope you are all well. xxx

Advertisement



12th March 2012

Hi Scott and Su So glad you are doing a blog, it's great to hear all your news on route. Keep it coming hope you are safe and well and look forward to next blog. Love Elaine xx
12th March 2012

Wow! exhausted just reading about your adventures! But does sound like your having lots of fun!
13th March 2012

Howdy folks
Hi su n Scott once again sounds like ur having fab time.. I am sure you will know the news of our next adventure...just reading your blog su in the lobby of the hotel n I have just burst out laughing reading about the lady in the gym!!!! I think the concierge thinks I am crackers? Off to view some apartments..Ed is in new office this wk but then back to Uk Friday n hopefully we will be living here sometime during April...another holiday destination for you? Have great time keep the news coming love susie n ed xx
13th March 2012

Sounds good
Sounds like you are enjoying yourselves with the help of Pisco sours, what is that for heavens sake?did your luggage arrive intact after leaving it on the outside table, I would have been mortified!look forward to some photos soon, enjoy!! xx
14th March 2012

Pisco Sours!
Hi Su...you don't know us...friends of your parents...we spent 4 weeks in Chile bout 3 years ago...and became addicted to pisco sours(oh my god, how good are they?!)....encouraged by a mad nun we were visiting! Love the blogs....hope the fun continues. John & Gabby xx

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb