Brett Surfed in Garbage


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
March 2nd 2011
Published: March 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We woke up kind of late today and decided that we needed some coffee so we ventured out to Starbucks and sat and had a coffee for an hour or so. We did some people watching which, in the area of Miraflores, is a great time. There are so many different kinds of people and ages of people that walk by on the main strip. It took up a solid hour of our time. We came back to the hotel around 1300 1400 and decided to go to the beach because Brett wanted to surf. I wasn’t so hot on surfing but he really wanted to so we went down to the beach and immediately we were accosted by the people trying to sell surf lessons and surf boards to the general population that is walking by the beach or the boardwalk where everyone comes down. The guy who accosted us first was named Roberto and was curious as to where we came from and what we were doing in Lima. Brett rented a surfboard from him for 25 Soles and the process began! We talked for a little while as Roberto was getting Brett’s board ready and I spoke with the guy who was helping Roberto, he was telling me that white guys can do whatever they want down here because we are so different than the men of Peru, the women will like us no matter what haha… I found it funny that of all the things to say he said this to me. The water in the ocean today was horrible. It was so dirty and polluted, there were garbage bags and plastics and all kinds of garbage in the water and also on the beach of rocks. I asked why it was so dirty and they said that it was because the current was very strong that day and had brought the garbage in from neighboring port cites. It was pretty nasty however Brett had already paid the soles to Roberto and had to try to surf. I was very content sitting in on the rock beach not paddling through the garbage water. I passed out on the beach for a while with our stuff wrapped around my arms so that no one would steal it. Brett didn’t stay out there too long and before I knew it he was back on the beach talking about how horrible it was hahaha… we sat with Roberto and his buddy for an hour or so and just talked about life in Peru and los EEUU and how things were different in the two places. They were telling us that for Peruvian men it’s no problem to pick up chicks from England or los EEUU and that for gringos like us, the women in S. America love us and will pretty much do anything for us. We talked bout music and food and our different lifestyles since both these guys were our age, it was a pretty cool hour and honestly one of the best times I’ve had so far. That’s what it’s all about, getting to know people and learning about different [points of view, especially cool when on a beach surrounded by surfers! It was a great time and after we finished talking we walked back to the hostel to chill out for a while. We were still kind of drained from the sprints that we did the day before. We cooked dinner on the grill here at the hostel after we picked up some different stuff for dinner, it took us a long time to get the fire lit but dinner was great we had steak and broccoli. After dinner we met Mayra at a bar en la calle de Pizzas and had a few beers there. We talked a lot about the differences between life here and life in los EEUU and also about the differences in the people in both places, it was a solid time to learn about each other and our cultures. It helped Brett to improve his Spanish a little and it provided me an opportunity to use my Spanish more. After that bar we went to another and then another, finally we ended up at a salsa club which Brett and I were unprepared for. Neither of us knew how to salsa dance and Mayra and every other girl there wanted to. I watched from the sidelines and just wished I could dance like that. After the salsa club Brett went back to the hostel and Mayra and I tried to find a hotel to go to. We tried three different hotels before we found one that would accept a credit card, que ridiculo! We spent a wonderful night together and in the morning went our separate ways.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



3rd March 2011

classic
tom i have enjoyed all the stories. i dont know how brett doesnt know how to salsa dance, we have been going to a secret chicago hotspot for years. my only question, how was mayra compared to the americano??
6th March 2011
Mas de Lima 004

very pretty
Forgot to warn you about the altitude and the sun, Sorry about that. You look tired. Somewhere along the way you will have to catch up on sleep or you wont make machu pichu. That beach was a bust, and the greenies here complain about the enviroment. What a joke. Luv yu.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb