Cats and the City


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
October 17th 2010
Published: October 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Some people said said Lima would be boring and a waste of time, how wrong they were.


Lima has a nice vibe, it's the only capital city in South America that sits on the coast of the Pacific Ocean and like Santiago the Andes sit right behind it. We took a taxi from the airport through the colourful shanty towns and set up in a hostel in Miraflores that was more like a house and we were the only ones there. Miraflores is the upscale area of Lima, next to the beachfront with artists painting in the square and nice restaurants and shops. After checking into our hostel, we went down to LarcoMar, a shopping mall built right into the oceanfront cliffs with a great view across the Pacific Ocean.


In Centro, the Monasterio de San Francisco, a site of an estimated 30,000 burials has catacombs filled with bones and skulls that have been divided by bone types. Creepy yet fascinating.


We've become so used to seeing stray dogs everywhere that it was a surprise seeing stray cats springing up in the flowers in Kennedy Park. A colony of about 50 abandoned cats live in this park. There are a group of people called Gatos del Parque de Miraflores who feed the cats and fix them so they don't reproduce.  They also adopt out the cats that are social and put up signs telling people to stop leaving their cats there... Obviously David was in his element here!


On our last day we were unsure what to do, so had beer for breakfast then fed the abandoned cats in celebration of Barley returning home to Calderwood after 9 days of wandering!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

David trying to swallow his cevicheDavid trying to swallow his ceviche
David trying to swallow his ceviche

Peruvians love their ceviche - its a spicy raw fish marinaded in lime juice


12th February 2011
Hurricane Pigeons

Wow excellent picture!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb