Barranco District, Lima, Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Barranco
March 18th 2019
Published: March 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post

BarrancoBarrancoBarranco

Is in the south of the sprawling city of Lima (11million). The area of Miraflores directly to the north is stacked with high-rise condos and US chain stores.
In hindsight we could have spent less time here and found another place in Peru for a week or so.

We found Lima too big, busy and crowded for our liking, particularly after the charm of Cuenca.

Traffic in and around Lima is brutal so we avoided taxis and Uber and walked, 75km last week.

The apartment was excellent and of all the districts we felt Barranco was the most genuine and the best bet for us.

There are 6 panoramas in the section above. They change every 5 seconds.

1. Barranco beach on a hot weekend. Too crowded for us. Reminded us of Sauble Beach on a long weekend in summer.

2. An Incan inspired wall mural in Barranco.

3. Plaza de Armas in central Lima.

4. From Miraflores, looking south to Barranco.

5.Huaca Pucllana.

6. The National Archaeological Museum of Peru

Next; the final leg of our winter adventure: a 12 day tour of Southern Peru, Nazca, Arequipa, Colca, Puno, Lake Titicaca then on to Cusco and Machu Picchu.

We custom built the trip with the help of Peru Tourism so are anticipating a very interesting finale.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Barranco. Barranco.
Barranco.

Means ravine and a large one separates Barranco from Miraflores. In the lower image you can see the trails made by brave locals taking a shortcut.
High above the PacificHigh above the Pacific
High above the Pacific

Probably great tsunami protection, being perched above a sheer cliff; but it makes getting down and back on foot difficult.
Unusual shorelineUnusual shoreline
Unusual shoreline

A look at the unattractive cliff separating the city from the Pacific.
KitingKiting
Kiting

The strong updraft is great for the local vultures, and kiters.
Walking tourWalking tour
Walking tour

We like to take an early walking tour to get familiar with the neighbourhood. Our local guide was excellent.
Great beadworkGreat beadwork
Great beadwork

Barranco is known as the artsy district. It has lots of galleries and workshops. This was displayed in one.
"Lost in translation.""Lost in translation."
"Lost in translation."

It can be fun to try to decipher the intent of a menu.
Typical "hole in the wall cafe" menuTypical "hole in the wall cafe" menu
Typical "hole in the wall cafe" menu

Prices are in Peruvian soles. Divide by 3 for a rough estimate.
Scallops on a brazierScallops on a brazier
Scallops on a brazier

These were as good as they look! Many great seafood restaurants in Barranco.
Lima marketLima market
Lima market

Many more varieties of corn and maize than we are used to seeing.
Street artStreet art
Street art

Barranco has wall murals everywhere. In some areas it is good to find ones that are not vandalized.
Museo Pedro de OsmaMuseo Pedro de Osma
Museo Pedro de Osma

The former home of a very wealthy Spanish/Peruvian is now an excellent museum housing artifacts from pre Incan civilizations to the era of the Spanish occupation.
Pristine collectionPristine collection
Pristine collection

The artifacts looked to be in perfect condition...we were assured they were genuine.
This house is not for sale!This house is not for sale!
This house is not for sale!

Apparently the owner is tired of getting offers, or he is holding out.
MirafloresMiraflores
Miraflores

The next district north of us. Pretty upscale, high-rise and touristy; very neatly kept.
Calle Perez Roca - our streetCalle Perez Roca - our street
Calle Perez Roca - our street

No traffic noise, no barking dogs no car alarms...best sleeping so far (well the Galapagos boat was pretty good as we were exhausted each night.)


20th March 2019

trying again - already sent a comment on your original Blog - you may have not received so sending again to say the pictures appeared and they are wonderful -

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb