Cuenca, Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
February 24th 2019
Published: February 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our final stop in Ecuador. We were joined by fellow travellers and friends Marg and Ted for a week in the very charming small city of Cuenca.

It was a pleasant change from the hustle of Quito. We walked everywhere we wanted to go and now seem to be acclimatized to the altitude.

Cuenca has lots of ex-pats. 10 000 former US residents and plenty of Canadians. Those we met seem very happy here with the slow pace of life, very affordable cost of living and the mild year-round climate.

Next stop, Lima Peru.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Quake!Quake!
Quake!

We woke up early this week to the rattling and shaking of an earthquake; common in the region, but not to us.
Nice AirbnbNice Airbnb
Nice Airbnb

Our apartment is within an easy walk of the old town and the terrace gives us a panoramic view.
Touring CuencaTouring Cuenca
Touring Cuenca

With Marg and Ted we have covered a few kilometres in and around Cuenca. This walking tour given by a local was outstanding.
Traditional dressTraditional dress
Traditional dress

The older ladies all seem to dress traditionally. Not so the younger ones or the men.
Lovely old homesLovely old homes
Lovely old homes

Can't say we have seen a better collection of well preserved older homes in one place. Typically in cities like Havana there are more derelict and abandoned buildings than restored ones. Cuenca deserves its World Heritage Site designation.
Market squareMarket square
Market square

With the 'new' cathedral in the background.
Courtyard of the new cathedral.Courtyard of the new cathedral.
Courtyard of the new cathedral.

There are a number of excellent small restaurants in this picturesque square.
Above CuencaAbove Cuenca
Above Cuenca

We took a bus up to this highpoint.
Clever buskerClever busker
Clever busker

We couldn't figure out the secret of his balance.
Pre Inca ruinsPre Inca ruins
Pre Inca ruins

A number of civilizations have occupied this area for thousands of years. These farming terraces were constructed well before the Spanish invasion in the mid 1500s.
Pre Inca artifactsPre Inca artifacts
Pre Inca artifacts

We found a very interesting museum with a good collection of works, some going back up to 10 000 years.
NOT Panama hats!NOT Panama hats!
NOT Panama hats!

President Roosevelt is responsible for the misnomer. He was given one as a gift and assumed it came from Panama where he had visited the construction of the Canal. Cuenca is credited with their origin, hand woven from straw.
Local marketLocal market
Local market

We always enjoy wandering through local markets.
Great meal!Great meal!
Great meal!

We enjoyed fresh sea bass at this tiny (3 table ) restaurant.
This is EcuadorThis is Ecuador
This is Ecuador

We have been really impressed with the people of Ecuador. They seem to be family oriented, happy and proud of their country. In 7 weeks we have not seen anger, hostility or sensed that we were in danger (not just from this dear old lady!). Many many people try to sell various items in the streets but never get pushy..


Tot: 0.392s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb