Huacachina - Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Huacachina...eeeh, Huacachina!!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
June 19th 2010
Published: September 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

sabado, 19 de junio
Mid-morning we caught the bus to Huacachina, just a 2 hour ride on the bus followed by a quick taxi ride. You may have heard of Huacachina but probably not - its population is less than a single African mudhut. Home to the World's 'largest sand dunes' it nestles as an oasis around a central lake you could throw a small animal across. We were greeted with a slight eggy smell which Hayley presumed was me but which doesn't bother after the initial shock. It's quite hard to believe the scale of these dunes, the Sun sets at about three in this town.

Not wishing to be like those guys in that Norweigan(?) town who have no sun for a month and end up hanging from the barn roof we tried to prolongue our day with a walk up the dunes and watch the Sun really set. We found Dan and two new companions (Becky and Anna) and set about the steep climb. It took ages. At the top the beautiful, fanta-orange sunset was ruined by some hippy types with balls on strings. Hate those happy-pant wearing losers. The Sun really wiped its feet going down at this height and sucked the heat away with it. Cue running down the dunes.

In the evening we had a few drinks - Pisco Sours 2 for 1. Hayley had the two fruitiest drinks on the menu (read, four) and couldn't sleep for bouncing off the walls. The doorman at our hostel (Carola del Sur) offered us drugs on the way home.

Turns out we are in an Israeli hostel. Great, no-one will be talking to us then.

domingo, 20 de junio
We awoke to the sound of Israeli efficient sex. For this, thankfully, read quick. Since the hostel has a pool we attempted to turn the whiteness of our polar bear bodies into bronze statues of art. Failed.

Dan and I watched Brazil v. Ivory Coast and found ourselves unexpectedly supporting Ivory Coast when it became obvious some weasel wanted Brazil despite not being Brazilian, which is okay in itself (we'll definitely follow Spain when England get knocked out) but super annoying when they clapped every tackle. It's not your country, you have a team and they are sh*t. Secondary support only.

In the evening the adrenaline got pumping. Dune buggying and sandboarding is a must in Huacachina but notoriously dangerous. Mostly because the drivers are underqualified and jack-the-lads. It's not unheard of for them to flip the buggies, especially as it darkens. As the buggy rocked up at 100mph and screeched round a corner the Grim Reaper sat watching on the other side of the road. Just before we hit the sand, standard stump up for tax.

Then...zoom...whiplash. The buggy absolutely belts it, the sound making your ear drums bleed. Up and then down 100m dunes is not dissimilar to the feeling of a rollercoaster (which I hate). You can't see the dip coming but sort of know because the driver brakes just before. Sometimes it's not even a proper dune which adds to the sense of lottery. A slight tip to the side and you think you're gonna die. Fortunately the belts are quite tight but I had to hold mine for fear of bruising of the b*ll*ck. Hayley managed to get whacked in the face with her own glasses.

No tipping just yet (just like for the driver). Next to the boarding. We've both done it before (Me Fiji, Hayley NZ) but not on this scale. Firstly to 3 easy ones to get a feel for it. Stomachs for us, we don't ski. Neither do half the standing Israelis apparently, faceplants a go-go. Next to the first biggie. And that it is. And mega steep looking from the top. I went first, and c*cked it by leaning on the front of the board. Has anyone ever stopped mid-dune before? Dan belted past to the left. To the right - a blur. A Hayley bullet which I had perfect view of a spectacular dismount. The next dune was higher and better.

By the way home it had got dark. Maybe the driver will take it easy? Nope. Round and round, even getting airborne. Reaching home was a long, deep sigh of relief.

lunes, 21 de junio
An extra day in Huacachina didn't seem like such a bad thing since we have ages until our flight from Lima (a definite mis-sale by STA) and we took advantage of the weather whilst it was still hot.

We came across another fruit loop preaching his message of the Lord with the ferocity of a tiger. The staff at the backpackers we ate at took great pleasure in winding him up as much as they could (which had zero effect because he was already at 100% mental), then they got the police. Much more effective.

Today we said goodbye to Dan for good (this trip) after so many temporary ones. A legend in the making awesome to have him along with us for so long. Someone to be a bloke with for me and spare Hayley all the manchat. Dan you have extended our relationship!!! Beers back in Blighty.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb