Huacachina - Sand Dunes & Buggies


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
October 19th 2009
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Trek over, 4 days of sobriety over, it was a 16 hour VIP bus to Ica. The journey was great, big leather seat in the posh section, only a handful of seats on the whole of the downstairs section. Had a nice meal and a few films and i arrived in Ica, where i caught a taxi to Huacachina, a little Oasis in the middle of the desert. Matt & Claire were already there as their little trek finished earlier than mine, so i met them at the hotel they had picked. Little cracker in the sand dunes with a pool.

Strange little town in the middle of the sdesert built around an Oasis. We booked onto a sandboarding & dune buggy trip for 4pm and spent the day around the pool where we all burnt in about 3 minutes. Not sure why, must be something to do with the sand dunes!

4pm came and we jumped into a 9 deat dune buggy, a very powerful dune buggy driven by a very crazy local man. I had no idea wht to expect, but it was so much fun. Shooting up near vertical dunes and going down dunes of the same angle. So much fun. Every 10 minutes we'd stop and he'd get the snowboards out. At first we tried to snowboard down the dunes, but this proved way too hard, so we quickly adopted the traditional, lie on you front and hit speeds of 70kmh approach, much more fun. The dunes are huge, and very steep so it lasts a good while. More driving at breakneck speed and more boarding, and it was time for sunset, where all the buggies met on a big sand dune and watched the sun set, very nice. Then it was a huge buggy free for all. About 20 all driving towards each other and up & doen big dunes, great end to the day.

That evening we went to a local eatery and had some good food. Not much in the way of nightlife, but we were up early anyway for the bus to Lima.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb