Adrenaline In Our Veins...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
September 24th 2009
Published: September 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The last couple of days, were really full and exciting and I will do my best to describe it to you from the beginning.

We left Huaraz (the last location I have reported on - you know, where we walked the difficult trek) at night, and took a night bus to Lima. We had a very good journey, and made it in only 7 hours (instead of 8). After less than an hour wait in the bus terminal, we hopped on another bus and rode it for 3 hours more arriving in Paracas. A short ride with a minivan, and we were at the pier negotiating a price for a tour to the “Islas Ballestas” - 'Galapagos for the poor', as some call it. For the poor in money it is indeed, as the boat trip cost 25 soles (the starting point of the negotiation was 40...) which are about $8 US Vs. the Galapagos trips cost which are at around $1500 US.
The boat trip to the islands was AMAZING, we saw millions of different sea birds (cormorants, Peruvian boobies, seagulls, pelicans and more), some sea lions and penguins.

After the speed boat to the islands, adrenaline was high, so we forgot we have just spent the whole night and morning on a bus, and decided to continue on our way. So, hop we jumped on a “colectivo” which is the local bus, stopping to anyone that waves his hand. We were lucky, as this one was empty and even explained to us how to continue our way. He dropped us at the next village (Pisco), from there, a short ride with a taxi, if one can call the tiny Deawoo car we were pushed into a taxi. But, it made its way (though the fuel meter was showing empty) all the 2 Km to the Panamericana highway. There, we waited in line with perhaps 30 other Peruvians and their belongings to the bus that will pass through and take us to Ica. We were surprised, in a good way, to find out that when the bus arrived they allowed people on, only as long as there were free seats and no one was standing on the bus. The bus ride, including the Very loud movie shown on it (Zorro - I told you we had to maintain adrenaline) was an hour and half or two. In Ica we took again a taxi to Huacachina - our last stop of the day - it was about time, after spending m-a-n-y hours on the road that day and switching not less than 9 vehicles, all with our backpacks!

Huacachina is a tiny oasis in the middle of the Peruvian desert. It has a small lake in the middle and houses (mainly hotels and restaurants) surrounding it. We obviously collapsed into bed that night.

The next afternoon we went for another thriller, a boogie ride in the sand dunes combined with some sandboarding - yes, yes - like snowboarding, there is sandboarding, done on the slopes of the huge sand dunes surrounding Huacachina. Even your fat cow (that's me., if you do not remember my previous entries), made it! And also all the rest of the family. Shachar, the little one, really draw the attention of other travelers that were around, as he was obviously the youngest 'sandboardist' they have seen. There are some videos to prove we all did it, that I cannot attach here, but I will try to attach a picture or two. The boogie ride was a real thrill - we all shouted and laughed tons. It was really like riding one of those roller coasters in Disneyland. Add to that the sandboarding, the views and the sunset and you can understand why my kids have agreed that this has probably been their best experience in the trip (well, if you will keep reading, you will see that on the next days, they already had hard time to decide which activity wins this crown...).

After letting the adrenaline decline a bit, we started our way to our next stop - Nazca. Well, I will cut here short, and jump directly to Nazca.
Nazca, is famous for its 'lines' - which no one really knows who were the people that have created them, or for what purpose they have been created. Theories are running anywhere between they were man made for worship of the gods to made by aliens....(You can search Wikipedia for Nazca lines if you are really interested). So, the thriller and adrenaline comes from taking a flight to see the lines, as you can only see them from the air and not from the ground. Well, after saying goodbye to a small amount of 50$ per person we had the pleasure of boarding a tiny plane, that could seat the 5 of us and the pilot (and that's it!).We have placed our lives in this tiny plane and in the hands of a peruvian pilot with a very American name (Franklin) for the next 35 minutes. Nitzan set next to Franklin, and it wasn't to far that he would ask her to just hold the wheel for a while. To make sure we all get to see the lines from the small plane's windows, he made two turns above each of the figures once with the right side of the plane down to earth and then a left turn with the windows on the left down to earth. This was not only a thriller, but also a 'throwller' (if you don't understand, my breakfast ended up in the plastic bag that was comfortably placed in the seat pocket in front of me...).

Though my body seems at times to not really appreciate Peru and is either aching from walking, or emptying its inside out - in my mind there are only good memories and excitement from the views, the activities and the adventures here in Peru.

On my next
Our planeOur planeOur plane

It is so big, you can hardly see it, as the fat cow blocking the view
blog, I think I will write you a special edition about the food in Peru - I think there is what to wait for.

Hasta Pronto,

Lilach



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



28th September 2009

Great Read!
As I drink my morning coffee here in Florida early before I go to work, sitting at my computer, your travel blog comes into my in box! Thanks for the updates! It is always fascinating to see where you have been and where you will go -personally the food blog is what I am waiting for !! Go Sapir family - Gracias Pamela y familia!
28th September 2009

Lovely!
Keeping close to your adventures. Lilachi, I don't agree with you that you don't know how to write... you're doing a great job. I loved the picture of the Huacachina Oasis, seems like a little heaven in the middle of such huge sand landscape. Sending you love from the most quiet scenary of Yom Kipur. Neshikot.
29th September 2009

fascinating
Hey girls and boys, What an adventure. You make us jealous bus we enjoy your stories. It is really nice to read that you are enjoying so much. And thank you for sharing the fantastic pictures with us. I will have a look how we can send some pictues to you. We have been cycling in Amsterdam on Sunday because the centre was closed for cars. It was very nice. This week, we will prepare Jessie's suitcase. Next week, the 5th graders are going on a school trip for 1 week to Drenthe. It is early in the schoolyear but school do this so the english, french and dutch classes get to know each other better. They will do mixed activities. Meanwhile, I'm preparing myself for a second interview for a job in the neighbourhood and Mario is suffering his bos' visit today. This morning I joined a walked in the dunes of Bergen (not as big as the ones in Huacachina), organised by the international women group. We are getting integrated and start to build up a new live. Enjoy Peru and let us know which will be your next country Sabine and the gang

Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 28; qc: 116; dbt: 0.128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb