Cusco and on the way there...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco
August 15th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the way to CuscoOn the way to CuscoOn the way to Cusco

La Raya, the highest pass on the route between Cusco and Puno, 4335 meters above sea level.
Lake Titicaca was beautiful but it was so so cold in Puno!! Señor Miguel sorted us out with bus tickets to Cusco with a company called First Class which includes a guided tour and various stops along the way at different places of interest. This was a really nice way to break up the long journey...
First we visited Pukara, which is a very old ceremonial site of a pre-Inca civilization which may have existed at the very beginning of the Andean culture at the Altiplano. Apparently it is believed that these people originated from Asia, and our guide was explaining that they appear to have had knowledge of Eastern philosophy, such as the 7 chakras, which he showed us in some of the stone work. It also appears that they knew the shape of Lake Titicaca already back then... Interesting theories, but the truth is that they really don´t know a lot at all about these Pre Inca civilisations.
Then we stopped at La Raya, the highest point between Puno and Cusco at 4335 meters above sea level. Beautiful.
We also saw Raqchi, the temple of the creator God Viracocha of the Incas.
Finally we visited a beautiful church at Andahuaylillas which is said to be the Andean Sistine Chapel.
All in all, it was a pleasant and interesting little journey to Cusco.
Cusco itself is a lovely city, with nice little cobblestone streets and lots of beautiful buildings. However, known as it is as "Gringolandia" it did get a bit annoying to be hassled by people trying to get you to buy stuff, do tours, enter restaurants etc every time you walk down the street...
We did a day tour to the Sacred Valley and we also booked our trek to Machu Picchu from here.






Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

On the way to CuscoOn the way to Cusco
On the way to Cusco

On hindsight Monia realised she was lucky that the llama didn´t spit on her when she was dragging it around.
On the way to CuscoOn the way to Cusco
On the way to Cusco

Raqchi, the temple of the Inca God Viracocha.
On the way to CuscoOn the way to Cusco
On the way to Cusco

Andahuaylillas. This church is known as the Sistene Chapel of the Andes. Amazingly beautiful inside! But unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures.
Cusco demonstrations.Cusco demonstrations.
Cusco demonstrations.

A local man in the street told us that people will use any excuse not to work and celebrate the independence day the whole month.


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb