Sacred Valley


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Sacred Valley
August 16th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took a day trip from Cusco to the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
First we visited the town of Pisac and its market which to be honest was a disappointment as we found the prices to be higher than in Cusco, so we didn't buy anything, but Monia called her mum as it was her name day.
Then we visited the town of Ollantaytambo and its huge Inca ruins founded by Pachacuti, the most influential Inca.
Our guide was really knowledgeable and told us all kind of stuff about the Incas including the fact that they were apparently not very nice people, intimidating and blackmailing others to work for them and pay taxes.
Our guide showed us how the positioning of a lot of the constructions of the fortress indicate that the Incas knew a lot about the movements of the sun and the universe. For example, the stones of the Temple of the Sun on top of the fortress are positioned to glow with the rising sun. Apparently they were originally covered in gold.
Finally we did a quick stop in the town of Chinchero which is an old Inca town known as the birthplace of the rainbow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 74, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb