Day 3 Inca Trail


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Inca Trail
January 23rd 2006
Published: January 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 Inca TrailDay 3 Inca TrailDay 3 Inca Trail

A typical path on Day 3.
Today is supposed to be the longest walk of the trail, and again I agree to that. Much more downhill though than the other days, some people do say that its harder as there are lots of downhill steps, and its pretty hard on your knees.

We started at 8am. The first part was uphill, and we stop for our first sight of an Incan Ruin. We then climb the rest of the way to the top of the mountain, 30 mins or so, and then begin the huge descent. It really is all steps too all the way down. The weather had a mixture of hot sun and rain. There is always mist too rolling quickly off the mountains. After a couple of hours walking, we reach a few more bigger Incan ruins, and have an explanation with our guide Alex.

Lunch, and then a walk which Julio describes as the most beautiful part. It was too, lots of forest, and with the rain, looked a ful on rainforest. We reached a point that had 4,000 downhill steps. A lot of people were getting tired by now. I was ok, knee was hurting quite a bit though. Then
Day 3 Inca TrailDay 3 Inca TrailDay 3 Inca Trail

And big steps, which the Porters just run down. Pretty Lethal!
the last ruin and explanation by Julio, then about an hours walk to the campsite. The total walk today was around 6km I think. The campsite was luxury too, leukwarm showers, and a big hall with a bar, and just generally somewhere to be sat indoors, as it was raining heavy again.

After dinner we had some speaches and said thank you to the incredible Porters, who make this journey bearable. The food they cooked was incredible. Everyone in the group gives them a tip, around 30 pounds each, and we all bought them a beer which they greatly appreciated. none of them came inside to the bar though, so I helped Julio take bottles of beer out to them as they finished clearing up dinner. I said to Julio it would be great if I got a picture of them with their beer. Again Julio thought it was a great idea, and I think I got a really brilliant picture of just me with them all. It was a great moment.

We had acomplished a grueling 3 days, and we were to get up early, 3am, to be first in line ahead of other travellers to get
Day 3 Inca TrailDay 3 Inca TrailDay 3 Inca Trail

Me with the Porters celebrating with a Beer.
to the Sun Gate and Machu Picchu the next morning. We were all praying for good weather though, the mist was thick now, and heavy rain!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb