Jeff becomes a famous Arequipan


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
May 2nd 2006
Published: May 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

111

The interviewer.
Tuesday was quite an eventful day. We had a lovely, leisurely breakfast before things got crazy. Jeff went into work with Elizabeth so that he could meet with Jesus Silva (the professor in charge of one of the courses Jeff will be teaching.) He was also unexpectedly taken to meet the Dean of the School, who sprung the fact that he wanted Jeff to be interviewed in SPANISH on the 7:00 news that night.

Meanwhile, Jesus had gathered a bunch of software developers who wanted to meet Jeff and he ended up talking with them for about an hour - in Spanish. (Anyone noticing a trend here?)

Jesus and his wife Maria Elena, invited Jeff, the kids and I to lunch at Sol de Mayo, one of the best restaurants in Arequipa (they have been in business for over 100 years.) Jeff was still at the school, and they were all due to pick us up at 1:30. Thank goodness for traditional Peruvian tardiness, at exactly 1:30, Jack HAD to go to the bathroom and Pierce decided to mess his pants. So by the time they came to pick me up at 1:45 I was barely ready and more
222

Mi esposo famoso.
than a little flustered. 😊

Maria Elena spoke no English, so things were difficult, but interesting at lunch. I managed to understand the majority of what she was saying (though I sometimes mixed up the details.) I also think that I managed to tell her that we were raising our kids Catholic (rather than that my mother was raised Catholic). We talked about problems with the kids and the schools, hair color, houses and travel - was just like talking to another mom at home, just a lot harder!

The restaurant was incredible - all the tables were around the edges of a covered courtyard, with grass and a fountain in the middle. The kids were able to run and play in front of a live band while I struggled to hear and understand what was being said.

Jeff left for the interview at about 6:30 ... I think we were all nervous for him! We were able to watch on live television - he did really well, though I have no idea what he was saying. He did make a joke - the interviewer asked him what languages he spoke and he said English, Spanish, Java, C, and C++, which got a big laugh from the interviewer and the dean. The station said they'd get us a copy of the interview - I'm hoping they do so I can show it off once we get home!


Advertisement



9th May 2006

Yikes!
Giving an interview is hard enough-much less in Spanish, but those are some scary looking reporters. They look more like mafia henchmen rather than tv personalities. Way to go Jeff!
9th May 2006

I'm one proud Mama
10th May 2006

deer in the headlights
Jeff does kinda have a deer in the headlights look :-) LOL Laurie says you're a natural, Jeff.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb