La Plaza de Armas & Adobo


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
May 1st 2006
Published: May 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After 11 hours of sleep, we all felt like new people. We awoke to a beautiful day, and a wonderful breakfast of fried eggs, bread, olives, cheese and freshly made juice.

Elizabeth and Alberto took us sightseeing - the city is really amazing.

We first went to Mirador de Yanahuara (a lookout point in the Yanahuara district) where we could see the entire city. Across the street was an old Catholic church made out of the white volcanic rock (sillar) that is very prevalent as a building material in Arequipa. The city is actually called Ciudad Blanco (The White City).

There are three visible mountains from Arequipa- Volcan Misti, Volcan Picchu Pichu and Volcan Chachani. Even from a height of 8000 ft (the altitude here) the mountains are amazing. It was cloudy, so we didn't get any good pictures, but we'll definitely head back on another day to take some.

We stopped and had "adobo", a pork and bread dish that was very good. Adobo is apparently the Waffle House of Peru, as the locals call partying all night "going for adobo". They party all night and then have adobo at 6:00 in the morning. The kids love it.

Next we visited la Plaza del Armas, at the center of the city. There is an enormous church there built out the the white rock, as well as a large square and lots of little shops and restaurants. We walked through several of the nearby churches - absolutely amazing stonework and the altars are typically gold plated! All of the churches had Peruvians praying and lighting candles in them. Peru is about 95% practicing Catholic - it was very different to see so many people at unlocked churches on a Monday mid-afternoon.

Pierce has completely taken to Alberto - he just snuggled right up to him. It was funny to see people do double takes when they saw Pierce's blonde little head. Everyone wants to touch his hair - he has mostly been agreeable, but sometimes he grunts and/or keens at people before they touch him.

Since Pierce was asleep we headed home a little early for lunch, which is the biggest meal of the day. We had fried steaks served with rice. Jack has asked for the same meal ever since -he just loved it.

In the afternoon, we visited Saga Falabella - which is a mini mall. Has one department store, a food court (with KFC, Pizza Hut and Burger King), a movie theater (dialogue in English with Spanish subtitles!) and various small stores, all above a supermarket.

The exchange rate has hovered right at $1 = 3.33 soles (which makes the math very easy for us Americans. Soles / 3 = price in $) At the grocery store we bought








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



6th May 2006

toothbrush?
Who forgot their toothbrush? That sure was an expensive toothbrush LOL
7th May 2006

It's great that you're putting down some prices of stuff especially for us Americanos that have no idea what the difference would be. I wish we could be there with you.
7th May 2006

Thanks
On behalf of Alberto and Elisabeth I would like to thank you for buying both the toothbrush and the tp. Helps reduce air polution. :^)

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb