Nazca Lines & Arequipa


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
March 9th 2006
Published: March 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Chocks away!Chocks away!Chocks away!

Nazca air-strip a similar Cessna to the one we flew in.
We are now in Arequipa, 1000kms south of Lima, 50ish k´s inland from the Pacific and a dizzying 2500metres above sea level.

Since our last entry we have made the obligitory trip to Nazca to see the ´famous´ Nazca lines and taken a 10hour bus ride down here.

On Monday 5th we took a flight from Nazca aerodrome over the ´Pampa´(flat desert) to see the strange lines and shapes from above. Apparently the lines themselves were made sometime between 400bc and 500ad, by various different peoples (some people theorise that aliens even contributed to them.....)

Unfortunately the lines themselves, although still quite impressive weren´t as spectacular as anticpated. Many of them have been spoiled by jeep-tracks (the panamerica even cuts through one of the drawings)

Some were really clear but some drawings were really ambiguous and it´s hard to really imagine that they were drawn so long ago. (Perhaps some modern Nazcans with a tractor have drawn them recently to get the gringos in??!!)

Anyway, judge for yourself from the pics.

The plane ride itself was quite fun.... it was great to see the mountains and valleys from the air. However, a bit of a
All aboardAll aboardAll aboard

At this point, Chris is very excited... Rachel is very scared!
heavy night on the cervies and vino the night before combined with erratic banking by our pilot meant both were looking for sick-bags before long... luckly Lonely Planet´s tip of ´look at the horizon´ seemed to do the trick.

Later that evening we boarded a bus (supposedly first class) for the 10ish hour journey to Arequipa. Bus was 2.5hours late and was full of travellers making their way from Lima....to say it smelt unpleasant is being quite kind.

Arrived in Arequipa at about 10am on Tuesday 6th March. After the usual hassle of a taxi driver not taking us where we asked and instead taking us to a ´recommended´ hostel... (we eventually gave him the slip by saying "yeah we´ll stay here," hiding round the corner ´til he´d gone and then walking to our original destination...) we found somewhere quite nice (and cheap!) with a little balcony out onto the road...

Arequipa is nice, the 2nd biggest city in Peru and quite studenty and trendy. Apparently Arequipans are really into their protesting and marching - to date we have seen 3 seperate demonstrations (see pics) This mor´ning there were 2 marches going on at the same time
Spectacular viewsSpectacular viewsSpectacular views

Climb out from the air-strip offered some great views of the mountains and the Pampa.
resulting in queues of marchers around the ´Plaza de Armas´.

Done the usual tourist things of visiting a few museums / convents / colonial buildings.

Tomorrow we´re off to the Colca Canyon for 2 days (2wice as deep as the grand canyon apparently) for some sightseeing and trekking.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The WhaleThe Whale
The Whale

This 100m long killer whale was supposedly etched to represent the Nazcans respect for the Whale´s strength in the water.
The PampaThe Pampa
The Pampa

The ´Pampa´is the flat expanse of desert used as a canvas for the Nazca Lines. Some people believe the lines were used as alien runways! The more plausable explanation is that the striaht lines were used during ceremonial marches to worship the water gods in the hope of rain.
The Alien/ AstronautThe Alien/ Astronaut
The Alien/ Astronaut

This image could be seen to support the ´alien´ theory. Images similar to this are seen on pottery of the time and there is evidence of ´head binding´rituals to re-shape the skulls of Nazcans into what, today we recognise as a typical ´alien´head shapes.
Panamerican  HighwayPanamerican  Highway
Panamerican Highway

The Panamericana cuts through the middle of the Pampa, which kinda illustrates the human destruction of the lines.
Arequipan MarchesArequipan Marches
Arequipan Marches

As soon as we arrived in Arequipa we were greeted by a march. It was the first of many. This particular one was a bunch of ´Alan Presidente´supporters. It was a catchy chant... if only we could vote in Peru!
KKK?KKK?
KKK?

One could be forgiven for thinking this was a KKK march but no, ´ALAN PRESIDENTE´ has some funny looking supporters!
Plaza de ArmasPlaza de Armas
Plaza de Armas

We have enjoyed several breakfasts on this balcony overlooking the central square. The Plaza is surronded by impressive ´sillar´(white volcanic rock) buildings. Again...more marches!
la Cathedralla Cathedral
la Cathedral

Again taken from our vantage point balcony... was quite amusing seeing the tractor rolling by.
Santa Catalina ConventSanta Catalina Convent
Santa Catalina Convent

This convent takes up an entire city block and is practially a city within itself. It even has its own enclosed streets and squares. Built by the Spanish catholics in the 1700´s it housed 300 nuns but today houses only 20-odd. Impressive nonetheless.
Santa Catalina Convent IISanta Catalina Convent II
Santa Catalina Convent II

Example of the enclosed streets - was very beautiful, despite taking knocks from several earthquakes.
The standard group portraitThe standard group portrait
The standard group portrait

Just to prove we´ve been here and not just downloaded other bloggers piccies! As clothing suggests, its quite a bit cooler in Arequipa.


12th March 2006

Catch Up
Just got back from France and updated us with the log... we are booking the next flight out.... only joking! sounds like you are having a geat trip.. Grandma and Ted are snowed in at the cottage and are living off beans and out of date corned beef, and of course scotch whiskey.... Will email you some photos. Dad and Donna xx

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb