Pisco, Ica y Huacacina


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Pisco
March 5th 2006
Published: March 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Out of LimaOut of LimaOut of Lima

The drive out of Lima is quite an eye opener. The city is massive and there are miles and miles of slums. You wouldn't believe it...
We left Lima on Wednesday 1st March and travelled 200km south, down the Panamericana to Pisco. Travelling on a public bus for the first time was interesting; not only was the bus station in one of the poorest parts of Lima, one of the 'friendly' bus company employees tried to rip us off by telling us it cost an additional 20 soles (4 quid) each to put our luggage on the bus (having paid only 19 soles each for the entire journey!!). He even had the cheek to write us a receipt - no way Jose! No wonder the other workers were calling him a monkey!

Pisco is situated in one of the many oases (oasi?) which punctuate the desert lying between the Andes and the Pacific. The main reason Gringos stop off at Pisco is to check out the 'Islas Ballestas' (Poor man's Golapogas (sp?)) and to sample the local plonk after which the town takes it's name. (See Pictures for Islas Ballestas)

After a couple of nights in Pisco (and some much needed free-laundry) we got back on the Panamericana and headed another 100km south to Ica - another desert oasis famous for it's vineyards....

We
Cactus (?)Cactus (?)Cactus (?)

On the way to the islas ballestas (by speedboat) we pass this 100m long 'marking' in the desert. There are many speculations on its origin (20 different theories according to our guide) but it is over 1000 years old....
stayed next to a lagoon in the middle of the desert called Huacacina(again, see pics)... the highlight of the stay was a 'spectacular' afternoon tearing around on dune buggies and sand-boarding.

We left Huacacina today and are currently in Nazca - tomorrow we are taking a flight over the famous Nazca lines in a Cessna (yes Chris is more excited about that than the sights!) We will let you know in the next installment.......

Anyway, we hope the pictures tell 1000 words as we are running out of beers while we tap tap tap away 😉

Thanks for all of the comments, its great to hear from you all - bowled over by the response (way to go N&G!) We really hope everyone's ok and sorry that we haven't been able to respond to everyone personally... Thinking of you all (and missing a good cup of tea!) R&C xxxxxxxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Islas Ballestas (birds, pengiuns and seals!)Islas Ballestas (birds, pengiuns and seals!)
Islas Ballestas (birds, pengiuns and seals!)

The islands are about 15miles from the coast and are uninhabited... except from the MILLIONS of boobies, penguins, vultures and seals. Apparently the 'guano' (bird sh*t) is up to 10ft deep in places. ;)
Bombs Away!Bombs Away!
Bombs Away!

The sky is FULL of birds everywhere you look... luckly we didn't take any 'hits'
Sunbathing sealsSunbathing seals
Sunbathing seals

This beach on the island was swamped with Seals which are actually surprisingly big and make one hell of a noise!
'fousands of 'em'fousands of 'em
'fousands of 'em

Need we say more? (K&A - shall I smuggle a baby one back?)
Desert, Sea.Desert, Sea.
Desert, Sea.

There's desert for miles, then there's sea. Spent the afternoon exploring desert...
RestauranteRestaurante
Restaurante

During our trip around the desert we stopped at a tiny fishing port and had a superb fish dinner....yummmmm (even Chris enjoyed it!)
Pisco town centrePisco town centre
Pisco town centre

We ate out at this restarante with a couple of people we met from our hotel, and then went back for drinks the following night, and spotted this peruvian woman pushing a cart of dried figs!
Pack HorsePack Horse
Pack Horse

Left Pisco after two days..(heavy laden!) bound for Ica.
Lagoon HuacacinaLagoon Huacacina
Lagoon Huacacina

Got to Ica...and left! (is not a nice place - muy sucio!). Stayed in Huacacina five mins down the road.
El HuacachineroEl Huacachinero
El Huacachinero

Hospedaje we stayed at for 2 nights - was a very good gringo place to stay - luxury.
Mr ParrotMr Parrot
Mr Parrot

At El Huacacinero, we made friends with a lurvely parrot, that was until he stole a bead from my flip flop - as if! Chris thinks they have amazing talons "well adapted"!
Mr Parrot - "Do Not peck my ear!"Mr Parrot - "Do Not peck my ear!"
Mr Parrot - "Do Not peck my ear!"

Getting the Pirate look did have its risks!
Parrot no. 2Parrot no. 2
Parrot no. 2

Woke up this morning to this noise.....'agua agua agua'.....this Parrot was not as friendly, as Chris found out....'it drew blood'.
Tacama VineyardTacama Vineyard
Tacama Vineyard

Luckily for us, we arrived smack on the harvest season which meant festivals, tasters and crushing grapes with feet. It took us ages to get to the vineyard but well worth it....got bottle of vino tinto to go back to tonight:-)
Pisco DistilleryPisco Distillery
Pisco Distillery

Pisco is the peruvian equivalent of Cognac in France. It's made with distilled (mixed) grape juice. When we visited they were crushing grapes by dancing on them - these are the disgarded skins which you find at the side of the road throughout Pisco and Ica.
Pisco Distillery 2Pisco Distillery 2
Pisco Distillery 2

The fermented grape juice gets heated and distilled, the picture shows the fire chamber use to heat it (bit different to the Courvoisier distilleries!)
Dune BuggyDune Buggy
Dune Buggy

We went on a trip in this beast with our hostel into the desert. The driver was a madman and the ride was like a rollercoaster (we have videos) 8litros and you should have heard the noise!
Sandboarding!Sandboarding!
Sandboarding!

The buggy carried sandboards (harder than it sounds!) It was great to go speeding down the desert hills (if only on your stomach!)
Sand!Sand!
Sand!

Here we are in the desert!
Sunset in the desertSunset in the desert
Sunset in the desert

We stopped the truck and watched the sun set over the dunes.
Huacacina LagoonHuacacina Lagoon
Huacacina Lagoon

It's not the best picture but this is Huacacina (where we stayed)


6th March 2006

Fwoarr!
Sounds like you guys are having a mega amazing time in Peru. Seeing as it's been practically arctic conditions here in Wales am feeling pretty jealous.... It must have been fantastic staying in the dessert- am pretty blown away by that piccie of Huacacina Lagoon- it looks like paradise! Keep it coming and good luck, Orla xx
7th March 2006

Tan-tastic
Great to see your photos and smiling faces. Guess your spanish is pretty good by now! Thinking of you both, as we dip to -6 degC here! Aunty Susan xox
7th March 2006

Following your journey,awaiting next exciting installment.Both look great in photos,buying chris a parrot for xmas as looks very comfortable with it or could make you a parrot pie instead!!! Love to you both B+T (Grandma + Grandpa)

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb