Volcan Cotopaxi


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Cotopaxi
June 12th 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

A very early start today but it was worth it to see the wonderful views of Cotopaxi. It stands at 5897m and is one of the highest active volcanoes in the world (although it has been fairly quiet since 1904)! Sadly we didnĀ“t have time to climb it. It takes 7-9 hours to get to the summit and another 3-4 to get back down. Instead we opted for a short hike around Lake Limpiopungo at an altitude of 4500m. The views of the volcano are breathtaking and I have some great photos which I will add when we get back. During our hike we saw a local football team practising at high altitude to make them fit and strong.

We headed on to Saquisilli, the largest rural market in Ecuador. The smell of fish is still with me. Not pleasant considering the town is 12 hours from the coast and the fish has been out in the sun all day. We also saw lots of guinea pigs and rabbits for sale. Hopefully I will try guinea pig before the end of the trip. On the way to our next overnight stop we saw another volcano. This time Tungurahua. It was absolutely stunning. It errupts every ten minutes or so and you can see the black ash coming into the sky. Particularly dramatic at sunset. Dad and I agreed it was one of the most amazing sights we have ever seen.

Tomorro wwe head off to the jungle for 3 nights. Will add another blog when I get back if we come out alive ......


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hosteria La TienegaHosteria La Tienega
Hosteria La Tienega

We enjoyed a late lunch at this 300 year old Hosteria
TungurahuaTungurahua
Tungurahua

It had just erupted


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb