Otavalo


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Otavalo
June 11th 2008
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cuicocha Crater LakeCuicocha Crater LakeCuicocha Crater Lake

3, 100 m above sea level
Enjoyed two nights in Otavalo in the north of Ecuador, two hours from the Columbian border. Our first day we enjoyed a short hike around the Cuicocha crater lake at 3, 100m above sea level. It was great to walk through the alpine vegetation alongside the tranquil turquoise lake and admire the beautiful flora. After the hike we visited the Park of the Condor, a bird sanctuary that we were able to admire the native birds and watch a short demonstration.

A four course lunch of traditional dishes went down well before a rare sighting of the vermillion fly catcher while on a visit to the home of a woodcarving artist, Luis Potosi. Our next day in Otavalo we enjoyed looking around the famous market. Dad and I couldnĀ“t resist some purchases and I did attempt to barter although I am not sure if I got a good deal! My favourite part of the day was going to the home of some famous Ecuadorian muscians and watching them make pipes in front of our eyes and then perform a song. It was awesome.

Next stop Cotopaxi. Hope the weather stays kind.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

My DessertMy Dessert
My Dessert

Our dessert came in the colours of the Ecuadorian flag. Cool


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb