I survived White Water Rafting...Just!!!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey hey hey peps, hope you are well?!?!OK so the last 4 days in short, kind of!!

So I am almost a week into my trip and have already done and seen soooooo much!!! I have to admit I have been a little slack with writing a journal and so I will give you a basic overview of my adventures so far!! I have stayed in wood cabins with cockroaches and frogs, rock climbed with bats, quad biked in the dark and fell out of a raft in he white water rapids and lived to tell the tale!:-)

We arrived in a small community in Ecuador on Saturday, just outside a town called Tena, the people in this community were the kindest nicest people who looked after us so well, we hiked for hours in this community through the jungle got some serious training in for the Inka Trail. We left this community early on Sunday morning and headed to another community, still in Ecuador but a totally different experience, this place was AMAZING!!!!!! Views I have only seen on postcards, they actually exist, was so beautiful! In this community we stayed in wooden huts again but with hot showers and a BAR!! Haha! We went hiking again through rivers and bat caves, this was eventful, but so much fun!!It is hard to think I have not even been here a week and I have done so much. The people on our tour are great all so lovely and we all seem to want to get into the same things and get involved as a group, there are 12 of us and a tour guide, who is Hilarious, he is called Manuel, which I think adds to the comedy value, half the time I don´t think he realises he is as funny as he is!Sadly he is only on our trip for the next 19 days so I hope we will have a guide as good as him on the next leg of the trip when we head into Bolivia!

In this community we spent an afternoon relaxing in hammocks and tubing down a tributary of the Amazon, this was so much fun and the setting was just paradise!We left this community..or resort ´Shangri La´ Gap have done well, didn´t think the accomodation would be this good!!We left this community on Tuesday morning and had a 3 hour bus journey to Banos, a city in the centre of Ecuador, this is totally different to what I have seen so far, a lot more touisrty and so many activities, I have been a real adrenaline junkie!! We arrived in Banos yesterday and are staying in ´La Floresta´a small hotel out of the town, but still close enough to walk in and be in the middle of the markets!! Yestarday afternoon we got to the hotel, and just walked about town organising the next 2 days activites...we went quad biking yesterday, this was great fun in a convoy of around 15 people bombing it down the road with cars and lorries on the edge of the cliffs, definitely not allowed at home, but again in an amazing setting....safety is not an issue out here, haha!!We got back from quad biking in the pitch black after riding on a skyrail across a canyon and standing under a waterfall!! Such a great experience!!

Today has been a day full of adrenaline...we set off for white water rafting around 9am had a 35 minute safety talk and set off into the biggest and scariest rapids I have ever encountered!!!!I vowed never to go white water rafting, but caved at the last minute and what an experience all was going so well, we went over huge rapids and into whirlpools and ´washing machines´apparently, then stopped at a point to jump off of a bridge into this river....why?? I have no idea! We then set off back into the rapids for the most terrifying experience of my life, haha, when we head straight for a rock which tipped out half of our boat, including me, what an experience!!..the safey demo went out the window and I thought it was game over, but I managed to get into the boat as white as a sheet...muct be why they call it white water rafting :-P but it is an experience what the hell, if I can´t do it in an amazon tributary where can I!! This afternoon has been the first relaxing evening we have had ahead of a 7 hour coach Journey to Cuenca tomorrow!!!

I hope yu are all well and find the time to have a read and keep me updated on what you are all doing!!

Miss you!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




Advertisement



5th September 2009

lakedistrict
just got back today, them wide eyed boys whood been away [no thats a line from a thin lizzy song], i mean me n' mum got back from lake district, was brill, great views also, but no white water rafting [naughty girl u said u wood'nt!!!!] p.s. dads writing this, [i'm glad u did it]. sounds fantastic though, how are clothes holding out? r u missing primark yet? hehe. we stayed in a couple of nice hotels [no cockroaches though] food, service, boating, all good, look like a couple of roly poly's though. nan pleased to see us back, but said han n charles had looked after her well. spoke to mick tonight, ashley had a boy 7lb 12 ozs called lucas, talk to you nearer n.z. part of your tour about possible accom if needed. hope you n laura are well, actually hope all your group are well, off to bed now, all our love mum n dad. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
6th September 2009

Fearless Fox!
Hey Nikki, sounds like you are having an amazing time. Better not let Nanny Moon read your latest blog about falling out of the boat, you'll give her heart failure! Take care xxx
7th September 2009

hellooooo
hi nikki we are reading your blogs so that we know you are safe and well, have a fantastic time, you lucky so and soxxxx thinking of you , big kisses and cuddles from the other side of the world in this tiny little place in england, love you lots, john, debs, joe and harley xxxx

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb