Back to BA!


Advertisement
Published: April 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The group!The group!The group!

Here we are: Craig, Matt, Zach, Me, April, and Crystal on the border of Argentina and Chile... headed back to Chile
So this week I went home. Well sorta kinda...

It was the weirdest feeling to be back in Buenos Aires. I had to buzz into an apartment I once lived in (although luckily the doorman, Daniel, let me in a few times), got to be a tour guide, and actually knew where I was goin. We went to all my favorite places, El Alamo, the cemetary, the market, Santa Fe, etc etc. We ate steak, despite the meat shortage in Buenos Aires**, went the famous all you can eat buffet (complete with Sushi), and just hung out. I had a great time seeing my family. Joaquin still hates me, Dolores is eventaller and prettier, Tomas still hates his mom, and Santiago is well Santiago. Anna is still sweet as ever and Mariana and Alex are still typical... Weird side story: the first day we got to BA (after a 24 hour bus ride) Zach, Craig, Matt, and I were on the subway and who walks around the cornor? Mariana and Alex!! What are the odds??

I don't really feel the need to elaborate on the details of this trip. Since I've done it before... But it was tons
RemenantsRemenantsRemenants

What was left after the protest parade came through
of fun to be there with Zach and my friends and just have a great time. We stayed in some cool hostels in differnt parts of the city and the weather was good to us the whole time! The ride on the bus was also nice. We had fun just talking and and watching bad movies. The seats were cozy and for once I wasnt freezing! The border crossing between Chile and Argentina was a bit of a hassel.. it took 3 hours the first time! No one really knows why... The terrain is just too cool out there in the middle no where. From mountains (the andes), to desert, to beautiful lakes and vinyards, to the Pamapas (the green farmland in the middle of Argentina), but the coolest part are the stars! TONS of them! You can actually see the milkey way! I stared out the window for at least an hour straight just looking at the stars... I even saw a couple shooting stars! Over all we had a TON of fun!

**So Argentinas farmers are currently prostesting a tax that is being pushed on them (nearly 40%!!). The farmers are therefore blocking any and all trucks from picking up beef from the farms and transporting it throughout the country (or for export). We saw burning tires and people protesting throughout the bus ride and arrived to BsAs to people eating tons and tons of chicken. The entire meat section at the grocery store was EMPTY. Because of all this there was a massive protect in from of the Casa Rosada (white house of Arg. incase you forgot...). We went. And saw the president speak! How cool! I've never even seen a US prez speak! And they defintatly never would come out a speak to a crowd like this...


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Dog walker!Dog walker!
Dog walker!

I FINALLY snagged a picture of one!
Helicopters overheadHelicopters overhead
Helicopters overhead

and ominous clouds...
a few morea few more
a few more

there had to be a million people at this protest...
Craig taken a peakCraig taken a peak
Craig taken a peak

This one was open... so craig checked it out.
BIG moseleumBIG moseleum
BIG moseleum

Look how little she looks...
The giant flowerThe giant flower
The giant flower

This tacky (I think) flower was a gift to the city. It opens in the morning and closes at night.
Moutains!Moutains!
Moutains!

The view on the way home
Up,up, and away!Up,up, and away!
Up,up, and away!

This is how we conquer the Andes,,,


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb