Another Great Day


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Valparaíso
February 25th 2011
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Abbey, Harold and a MoaiAbbey, Harold and a MoaiAbbey, Harold and a Moai

This is one of the smaller statues found on Easter Island, now at the Fonck Museum.
We sure are enjoying the pace of our days. Poor Harold gets up most (okay, every) morning before I do. I sleep until at least 8:30, usually waking up because I have a smaller pair of eyes staring at me and wishing me awake. It is not a bad way to begin my day. 😊 Because it is a B & B, breakfast is prepared and coffee is hot. This is usually a leisurely affair as we discuss the plans for the day with Rene, our host, or with some of the other guests.

With only two days left, we decided to return to Viña del Mar to visit the Fonck museum which is about the Rapa Nui on Easter Island as well the Botanical Gardens. We thought we would travel by train but when we couldn't find it (seriously), we took a taxi. Unlike Canada, each taxi ride is a different price and it is always a surprise how cheap or how expensive it might be. Today it was inexpensive so that was a bonus. (I must almost note that rarely do the seatbelts work in the taxis. Abbey has commented more than once and gives me the eye as we race around the curvy streets hanging on for our lives.)

The museum was a very pleasant surprise. Posted outside like a sentry, is one of the statues found on Easter Island. Inside is a wonderful display of artifacts as well as information telling the story of the Rapa Nui. Most of the display is in Spanish, but there is enough English to keep you interested and informed. I would suspect that museums are not well funded here (like most other things) but this one apppears to do quite well. It was a very pleasant surprise.

The Botannical Gardens was another experience. We took the bus which dropped us off at the road that leads into the gardens. Unbeknownst to us, it was still a two to three kilometre walk in. After walking for ten to fifteen minutes on this isolated, narrow and winding road, we decided to hail a car down (with a woman driver). She told us we still had quite a walk and gave us a ride in. Just goes to show there are nice people the world over.

The gardens had a nice display of cacti as well as local flowers. After
Check Out Those CoconutsCheck Out Those CoconutsCheck Out Those Coconuts

Just kidding, there are no coconuts, but the tree is really cool.
staying for only about an hour we decided we would wait on the side of the road to return home because we didn´t want to miss our bus. After much confusion with the bus driver (Abbey only gave him enough pesos for one person and he was a little upset about that) we discovered we were on the bus that would take us all the way back to Valparaiso. So all´s well that ends well. We got home in time to enjoy a glass of wine and onces with our hosts.

Advertisement



25th February 2011

Vicarious travel
Wow, thanks for being such prolific travel bloggers (? is that a word). Its -36 with the windchill here and its nice to be transported to Chile via your travels. Sounds like a great trip so far. Best wishes, Maria and Greg
25th February 2011
Abbey, Harold and a Moai

wowsers
Your hair is sure getting long Abbey... um and Harold ...well not so much. So nice you got to see a bit of the Easter Island stuff while you are there. On a cat note...this morning Zack discovered that he can crawl right into a pillow... and attack people (me) or other cats (Misty) through the pillow case, what fun, I am pretty sure the blood specks will come out ... needles to say it is time to clip the claws again.
25th February 2011

Wow!
Hi Guys! What a wonderful adventure to be on...except for the camera, of course! I hope Abbey is feeling well. Pauline ,I can't wait for the first visit back to Westwood and more details. Reading this blog is very addictive! I look forward to reading about your trip and check it daily. Have fun and stay safe! Denise
25th February 2011

It looks really nice there. Send some of the nice weather home. A blizzard is being forcast fr tonight. Just what we need here . I went to the mall for 3 hrs yesterday, so it can snow all it wants now . lol Have fun and Be safe. Love you
25th February 2011

Great museum!
It looks like a great museum to visit...the Montreal history museum had a display about Easter Island last fall, which I was lucky enough to visit. It was fascinating...and since then I have known 3 people who have gone to Easter Island to see the Moai in person. It sounds like your trip is going really well--sleeping in until 8:30 sounds like a lovely way to start your mornings, Pauline! Are you finding it easy to get around and do the things you want to do? You have talked about taking public transit and it sounds like it's working out all right. Thanks for posting about your adventures...I am enjoying reading your posts (and I was telling my husband about your trip and you have inspired us to think about doing something similar in a couple of years--we'll wait until our kids are a bit older)!
26th February 2011

Enjoying Harold, Pauline & Abbey's Most Excellent Adventure!
Hi Abbey, I hope you're feeling better. I had a cold last weekend too, anyway we have been reading your blog every day. Sorry about the camera. My mom couldn't pronounce Valparaiso so I had to teach her :)! She's almost got it :) LOL ! Everybody misses you at school. So I guess you have already heard that Cassidy broke her foot, she onley has one more week till she gets the cast off. BYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Hola mis amigos, (I love google translate)! We have enjoyed reading your blog and are glad you are having such a great time, good weather and meeting all kinds of interesting people. We look forward to checking what you have been up to and hearing about your latest adventures. Looks like the new camera is working out! The pictures are beautiful! Be excellent to each other and travel on dude (and dudettes)! Brenda
3rd March 2011

LOL
I really did laugh out loud, LOVE your coconuts Pauline, they are great!! Yes, my dirty mind is still active at this late hour of 10:11 pm. I will go to bed before I do further damage to your family blog! (still laughing though.....!!)

Tot: 0.379s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb