Street art - a tentative convert


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Valparaíso
February 24th 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday Abbey had a bad cough from a cold that has been creeping up on her, and Pauline was fine with a rest day, so I joined a couple from Toronto (Dora and Ran) on a walk through some neighbourhoods we haven´t been to yet. In our neighbourhood, we picked up a stray tourist, Marilena who is also from Toronto and was visiting Valparaíso for the day from Santiago. Ran is particularly interested in street art, and was it ever an eye opener for me to hang around with these guys. I had noticed a number of interesting murals, but for me a lot of it had been diluted by (what I consider) nuisance grafitti. Ran and Dora showed me pictures made when artists cut stencils from mylar and then spray paint on walls, streets, concrete steps. They are really quite interestng, and often have hiddden messages or meanings. The artists often travel the world to spread their art. Not sure how easy it is to sell your painting though.

With the house full of travellers, we gathered around the table at night to chat with Ran & Dora, and a German couple who had gone on a horseback riding
Electric busesElectric busesElectric buses

These electric ´trolebuses´ are still in operation though they are quit old. They´re a pleasure to ride in. The bus drivers can make change for you. Marilena said that the "exact change only" system is unique to North America. The drivers have a little wooden boxes at the front with dividers to keep coins separate.
excursion with our host Rene. They really enjoyed it.

Today we are going back to Viña to see the botacical gardens and an Easter Island museum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



24th February 2011

Trolley buses
I remember the trolley buses in Winnipeg when I was quite young and visiting with relatives. Some people here think we should reinstate them in some areas. It was fun riding them, but more fun seeing them when they were following the tracks when turning a corner. Have a good day at Vina!
24th February 2011

Abbey
Sorry to hear you hada cold yesterday. You are probably better if you are going to do some more touring today. Tell Daddy that street art is indeed a universal phenomenon.r You just have to open your to see that bit of history.
24th February 2011

Squeeeeel
Sigh, Anything that can pry an eye open to art ... even if just a peak ... is a pure delight for me!! The Arty Girl
24th February 2011

Squeeeeel
Sigh, Anything that can pry an eye open to art ... even if just a peak ... is a pure delight for me!! The Arty Girl

Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb