Background: Prior to the coming of the Spanish in the 16th century, northern Chile was under Inca rule while Araucanian Indians inhabited central and southern Chile; the latter were not completely subjugated until the early 1880s. Although Chile declared its independence in 1810, decisive victory over the Spanish was not achieved until 1818. In the War of the Pacific (1879-84), Chile defeated Peru and Bolivia and won its present northern lands. A three-year-old Marxist government of Salvador ALLENDE was overthrown in 1973 by a dictatorial military regime led by Augusto PINOCHET, who ruled until a freely elected president was installed in 1990. Sound economic policies, maintained consistently since the 1980s, have contributed to steady growth and have helped secure the country's commitment to democratic and representative government. Chile has increasingly assumed regional and international leadership roles befitting its status as a stable, democratic nation.
Photos from Puerto Varas
Blogs from Puerto Varas
Latest Blogs from Puerto Varas
- April 23rd 2013 Puerto Varas, Chile
by Words: 433 Photos: 9
- March 17th 2013 Mar 17 - Puerto Varas. Pieds dans l’eau et asado à l’heure chilienne pour la St Patrick / Dipping the feet in the water and a late BBQ for St Patrick’s day
by Words: 261 Photos: 5
- March 16th 2013 Mar 16 - Puerto Varas. Influence allemande / Under German influence
by Words: 470 Photos: 10
- October 25th 2012 Lake Crossing to Pt Varas
by Words: 101 Photos: 10
- October 13th 2012 Seafood, Lakes, Volcanoes and Penguins...not evil ones like in Batman, but really cute fluffy ones.
by Words: 1864 Photos: 13
- October 10th 2012 Vacation of a Lifetime - Conclusion (not)
by Words: 15 Photos: 1
- September 10th 2012 Patagonia Lakes Region - Argentina / Chile
by Words: 451 Photos: 4
- August 28th 2012 Puerta Varas
by Words: 475 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2012 Neoprene Fun!
by Words: 1137 Photos: 24
- March 9th 2012 T'was on the good ship venus....
by Words: 1727 Photos: 5
- January 24th 2012 Puerto Varas - 5 Janeiro a 8 de Janeiro 2012
by Words: 592 Photos: 4
- December 3rd 2011 Extrem sports in the Lake District
by Words: 164 Photos: 9
- May 7th 2011 Good bye Chile
by Words: 496 Photos: 0
- May 1st 2011 the good times are killing me...
by Words: 609 Photos: 11
- February 28th 2011 South American Adventure
by Words: 98 Photos: 0
- February 8th 2011 Feb 8th
by Words: 2067 Photos: 0
- January 27th 2011 Hello from patagonia!
by Words: 799 Photos: 0
- July 25th 2010 The sleepy towns of Puerto Varas and Chiloe Island...
by Words: 331 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2010 Oh Puerto Varas
by Words: 152 Photos: 0
- March 20th 2010 From Puerto Montt to El Bolson via Rio Puelo
by Words: 2844 Photos: 24